Spicy Pineapple Pork Butt Roast
This deliciously Spicy Pineapple Pork Butt Roast sweet and savory dish is sure to become a new family favorite. And there you have it! Another of my favorite recipes – from my kitchen to yours!
As written, this recipe contains a couple of extra steps you can skip if you are short on time. To make this a genuinely one-pot meal, just place the well-trimmed and seasoned pork butt roast directly into your slow cooker without searing. Also, the juices can be thickened right in the slow cooker crock by stirring in the arrowroot slurry with the other ingredients 30 minutes before it is done cooking.
Slow Cooker-Spicy Pineapple Pork Butt Roast
- 1 small yellow onion diced
- 16- oz. fresh pineapple cut into 1” chunks
- ¼ c. gluten-free soy sauce*
- 2 t. rice wine vinegar
- 1 T. honey
- 1 T. sesame oil
- 2-3 tsp. minced garlic
- 2 t. five-spice powder
- 1 medium red bell pepper cut into 1” chunks
- 1 medium jalapeno pepper finely diced
- 2 T. natural creamy peanut butter
- 2 T. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 4-5 lb. pork shoulder butt roast trimmed
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- ¼ c. pineapple juice
- 3 T. fresh cilantro chopped
- Optional: 2 T. arrowroot
- Add onion, fresh pineapple chunks, soy sauce (*can substitute coconut aminos), rice wine vinegar, honey, sesame oil, garlic, five-spice powder, bell pepper, jalapeno pepper, and peanut butter to a 5 or 6-quart slow cooker. Stir to combine thoroughly.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Season trimmed pork roast on all sides with salt and pepper, to taste. Add to hot skillet and sear on all sides, approximately 2-3 minutes per side. Transfer seared pork to slow cooker crock.
- Reduce heat to medium and deglaze skillet with fresh pineapple juice. Use a spatula to scrape up flavorful brown bits from the bottom of the pan. Remove from heat and pour pan juices into the slow cooker.
- Cover and cook over high heat for 3-4 hours or low for 6-8. When finished, stir in fresh cilantro and transfer pork and pineapple mixture to a serving platter with a slotted spoon. Cover and keep warm.
- Optional: If desired, create a slurry by combining 2 tablespoons arrowroot and ¼ cup of juices from the slow cooker. Transfer remaining juices from the slow cooker to a large skillet over medium-high heat and whisk in the arrowroot slurry until well combined. Cook for several minutes or until sauce is reduced and thickened.
- To serve, spoon warm pork and pineapple mixture over a bed of cooked brown or cilantro-lime rice. Top with the juices or thickened sauce, if desired, and enjoy!