My ambrosia salad recipe is a classic recipe that has been around for years. This ambrosia dessert is made with Cool Whip, yogurt, maraschino cherries, grapes, pineapple, and more. It makes a sweet and crunchy salad.
You will find that ambrosia salad is a traditional mixed fruit salad that is creamy, sweet, and crunchy. This is a simple dessert salad that has been served for years, especially in the southern states.
Table of Contents
Why you’ll love this Ambrosia Salad recipe!
- This recipe has a variety of fruit giving it a fresh mix of summer flavors.
- It is sweet and delicious- Kids and adults alike will love this recipe.
- Can be made in advance, making it a great dessert for potlucks, summer cookouts, and holiday gatherings.
- The use of canned fruit brings this dish together in a flash.
Ingredients In Ambrosia Salad
The complete list of ingredients, quantities, and instructions can be found in the printable recipe card below.
- Fruit – Consider swapping out the type of fruit you are using in the salad. You can use any type of canned fruit so long as you drain off any juice.
- Lower Calories – If you are watching your calories use a light Cool Whip and reach for no sugar added fruit. You can also use a non-fat version of the yogurt.
- Flavor – Add in a tablespoon of vanilla pudding to add more flavor to the salad.
- Nuts – Swap out the walnuts with pecans, cashews, or leave out the nuts for a creamier fruit salad.
How To Make Ambrosia Salad
- In a large mixing bowl, add your Cool Whip and your Greek Yogurt together. Mix until combined. (Photo 1)
- Add in the rest of the ingredients and mix to combine. (Photos 2 & 3)
- Refrigerate salad for at least 4 hours too overnight.
- Garnish with coconut, walnuts, and cherries right before serving. (Photo 4)
You can store your ambrosia salad in the fridge for 3-4 days. Keep in mind, though, that you will find that with each day the marshmallows will get a bit soggier, and all the fruit will release more juice, making it a runnier salad.
Due to the ingredients used, you will find it does not freeze well. I recommend only making what you plan to eat before the salad spoils.
What to serve with this Ambrosia Salad Recipe
This dessert marshmallow salad is so easy to throw together to end your meal and would really be great after any meal with a Southern flair.
The 70’s is when the 5-cup salad or also known as ambrosia salad, was most popular. It came about in Australia and since then has taken the whole world by storm.
Yes, ambrosia is still a dessert salad that is still eaten today. You will find that ambrosia fluff salad is often served around Christmas, Easter, and other holiday events. But also, when it comes to summer entertaining, it is served at cookouts as well.
Yes! This salad would be fantastic with any kind of fruit you prefer.
You can always use lower sugar versions of Cool Whip and Canned fruit and use non-fat yogurt to lighten up this recipe.
Need more fruity dessert recipes? Try these:
- Marshmallow Fruit Salad with Blueberries
- Easy Lemon Blueberry Fluff Salad
- Double-Crusted Apple Pie
- Easy Blueberry Dump Cake
- Southern Peach Cobbler with Canned Peaches
- Frozen Watermelon Agua Fresca
- See all our delicious desserts!
Did you make this recipe? Or any other delicious recipes on my site? If so, please leave a ★★★★★ star rating and drop a 📝 comment below! Ensure you’re not missing a thing; you can subscribe to my newsletter and follow along with me on Pinterest, Facebook, and X (Twitter)! for the latest updates, recipes, and content.
- 8 ounce (226 ⅘ g) Cool Whip thawed
- 8 ounce (226 ⅘ g) plain greek yogurt or sour cream
- 30 ounce (850 ½ g) can mandarin oranges drained well
- 40 ounce (1 ⅐ kg) can pineapple tidbits drained well
- 1 ½ cups (226 ½ g) green grapes
- 16 ounce (453 ⅗ g) jar maraschino cherries drained well
- 10 ounce (283 ½ g) bag mini marshmallows regular or fruit flavored
- 2 cups (160 g) shredded coconut
- ¾ cup (87 ¾ g) chopped walnuts
- In a mixing bowl you will add your Cool Whip and the Greek yogurt together.8 ounce Cool Whip, 8 ounce plain greek yogurt
- With a spatula mix to combine the two. Don't overmix or it will deflate the whipped topping.
- Add in all the other ingredients except the coconut, nuts, and the cherries. The rest add in and mix well.30 ounce can mandarin oranges, 40 ounce can pineapple tidbits, 1 ½ cups green grapes, 10 ounce bag mini marshmallows
- Refrigerate the ambrosia fruit salad for up to 4 hours to overnight.
- Right before serving stir in the nuts, coconut, and cherries.2 cups shredded coconut, ¾ cup chopped walnuts, 16 ounce jar maraschino cherries