This Copycat Cracker Barrel Mac and Cheese recipe is a buttery and creamy comfort dish that comes together beautifully in your Instant Pot. With only five ingredients, this cheesy pasta topped with an even cheesier crust is amazingly tasty, cozy, and simple to make. Enjoy a restaurant-quality side dish or at home with this recipe!
There are few things in life better than a nice warm bowl of macaroni and cheese. Sure, you could head to the nearest Cracker Barrel for some good old-fashioned Southern cooking, but why spend all that money when you can make it at home? This recipe is not only easy (and cheap!) but also tastes just like the real thing.
Don’t believe me? Try it yourself!
Not to mention it takes about the same amount of time to make as boxed mac and cheese! The instant pot makes cooking this mac and cheese recipe super easy and delicious!
Why you should make this Copycat Cracker Barrel Mac & Cheese
- You can make it in a matter of minutes. Only five ingredients are required, and following the recipe is a breeze. When you make this mac and cheese, it’ll be ready in no time.
- Making your own macaroni and cheese is less expensive. You can have as many as you want for a very little cost. You will save money if you try this recipe!
- It has the flavor of Cracker Barrel Mac & Cheese. You don’t have to just eat this cheesy pasta at Cracker Barrel. This is something you can make in your own kitchen.
- Mac and cheese is the quintessential comfort food and perfect for days when you just want a warm bowl of cheesy goodness!
If you love recipes like this, you may also enjoy this Creamy Instant Pot Sausage Rigatoni
What You Need To Make This Instant Pot Mac & Cheese Recipe
How to Make The BEST Copycat Cracker Barrel Mac N Cheese
Full directions and measurements for this dish are in the printable recipe card below. These step-by-step photos and instructions are here to help you visualize how to make this recipe.
Place the macaroni in the instant pot and cover with water. Close and seal pressure valve and pressure cook on high for 5 minutes. Release pressure manually.
Drain pasta and set aside.
Once the flow and butter make a roux, Stein in the milk slowly to thicken the mixture. Lower the heat and add 2 cups of cheese.
Fold in the pasta and once coated, spread over the skillet.
Top with the remaining cheese and place under a high broiler until cheese starts to brown.
Keep any leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 5-6 days.
To freeze leftovers make sure you allow your Cracker Barrel Mac and Cheese to cool completely before wrapping it snugly in plastic wrap and storing it in the freezer. Place your dish in the freezer-friendly container and freeze it. Frozen Cracker Barrel Mac and Cheese can be stored for up to three months.
Substitutions and Variations
- Pasta: Out of elbow macaroni no probelm! You can use pretty much any type of pasta you have on hand, even spaghetti noodles!
- Add-ins: You can also add as many more ingredients as you want, such as ham, bacon, chicken, ground beef, onions, peppers, corn, and vegetables.
- Cheese: If you wish, you can switch up the type of cheese you’re using a nice cheddar or other good melting cheese works best.
What is the best cheese for this Copycat Cracker Barrel Mac N Cheese recipe?
How do I get a thicker sauce for my instant pot mac and cheese?
How do I keep my cheese sauce from clumping up?
More Instant Pot Recipes You May Enjoy
- Instant Pot Chicken Alfredo With Pasta
- Instant Pot Jambalaya
- Instant Pot Chicken and Mushroom Tetrazzini
- Instant Pot Philly Cheesesteak Pasta
- Instant Pot Stuffed Peppers
The BEST Copycat Cracker Barrel Mac N Cheese (Instant Pot!)
- Place the macaroni in the instant pot and cover with water. Close and seal pressure valve and pressure cook on high for 5 minutes. Release pressure manually.
- Drain pasta and set aside.
- In a cast iron skillet over medium heat, melt the butter and whisk in the flour
- Once the flow and butter make a roux, Stein in the milk slowly to thicken the mixture. Lower the heat and add 2 cups of cheese.
- Fold in the pasta and once coated, spread over the skillet.
- Top with the remaining cheese and place under a high broiler until cheese starts to brown.