Do you know what I love most about meringue cookies? Even though they are simple to make, everyone always thinks I spent hours and hours with them, and the compliments never seem to stop. Moreover, these are no exceptions. Just take a classic meringue cookie recipe and pipe them out into the shape of bones for an eerily delicious gluten-free Halloween treat.
- Preheat your oven to 200 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Place brown paper bags or parchment paper on cookie sheets to line it.
- Use an Egg Separator for three large eggs and put the yolks aside.
- Using a medium bowl beat the egg whites, ¼ teaspoon of cream of tartar, and ⅙ teaspoon of salt at high speed until the mixture is fluffy.
- Add ⅔ cup of sugar slowly and then add ½ teaspoon of vanilla to the mixture and beat for another minute to incorporate it.
- Place the mixture in a piping bag or large plastic bag.
- Add a plain piping tip to the bag or simply snip off a tiny corner.
- Pipe out as many three-inch bone shapes onto paper as you can.
- Bake these ‘bones’ for one hour. Turn off the oven and allow the ‘bones’ to continue drying in the oven for an additional hour.
- When they have finished drying, place them in an air-tight container to keep them from becoming soggy.
- This will make about four to five dozen ‘bones.’