Check out these chocolate chip whoopie pies with cherries! The perfect cherry and chocolate duo that is filled with a silky smooth buttercream filling. These homemade whoopie pies are such a treat. The studs of cherries really transform the flavor of these cookies!
Whoopie Pies are something we don’t have too often. But when we do this cherry Garcia recipe here is one we reach for. There is something special when maraschino cherries and chocolate join forces.
Table of Contents
Why Make This Recipe
- Loaded with chocolate chips and maraschino cherries
- Swirled with a homemade frosting
- Easy to Make
- Gorgeous presentation value
Ingredients You Will Need
- Baking Soda
- Sweet Cream Butter
- Brown Sugar
- Maraschino Cherries
- Chocolate Chips
- Heavy Cream
- Powdered Sugar
Helpful Tools For This Dessert
Here are some handy tools for this whoopie pie cookies dessert recipe.
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Large piping bag and tips
- Whoopie Pie Pan
- Spatula or Hand Mixer for Mixing
How to Make Whoopie Pies
Step One: Start by preheating the oven and preparing the pan as directed.
Step Two: Add dry ingredients into a bowl and mix. Once incorporated set aside.
Step Three: Then you will use a hand mixer or stand mixer and add the wet ingredients. Mix until combined.
Step Four: Alternate dry ingredients with milk, making sure to mix and scrape down the sides. Once done fold in the chocolate and cherries.
Step Five: Spoon batter into the whoopie pie pan and bake.
Step Six: Once whoopie pies are done, remove and allow to cool. Then blend up your homemade frosting, and then pipe a ring of the frosting in the center of the cookies! (Photos 1,2 & 3)
Storing Whoopie Pies
I like to take the chocolate chip cookie whoopie pies and wrap them in plastic wrap to help ensure the whoopie pies do not dry out as fast. Then for the frosting, I find that storing at room temperature works. But if you store in the fridge in an airtight container they will store for 2-3 days longer than normal.
Freezing – Go right ahead and freeze as many as you would like. Just place in a freezer container and freeze for 3-4 months. Then you can thaw on the counter or in the fridge for a slower thaw.
Then enjoy this cherry chocolate dessert whenever you get a craving!
Whoopie pie filling is normally a vanilla frosting, generally a buttercream frosting. You will find the thicker the frosting it holds up well in between both of the cakes.
Of course! If you are looking for a different flavor for the center of these Whoopie pies. You could do a cherry filling, chocolate, or any other flavor you want. Just make up your favorite frosting recipe.
If you don’t have a piping bag you can pour your frosting into a gallon size sealed bag. Remove the air and the cut a small portion of the tip off a corner. Then use the Ziploc bag to pipe the filling in the center.
Absolutely. If you want to make extra of these chocolate chip cherry whoopie pies feel free to double the recipe. Just batch cook the cakes as needed, and then allow them to fully cool before piping in the filling.
Just swap the regular chocolate chips with white chocolate chips or chocolate chunks. Just remember quality chocolate is key as it will be a stand out flavor in this whoopie pie recipe.
More Desserts You’ll Love
Did you make this recipe? Or any other delicious recipes on my site? If so, please leave a ★★★★★ star rating and drop a 📝 comment below! Ensure you’re not missing a thing; you can subscribe to my newsletter and follow along with me on Pinterest, Facebook, and X (Twitter)! for the latest updates, recipes, and content.
Chocolate Chip Whoopie Pies with Cherries
- 1 ⅔ Cups (208 ⅓ g) all-purpose flour
- 1 1 tsp (2 tsp) baking soda
- 1 ½ tsp (1 ½ tsp) Kosher salt
- 4 Tbsp (4 Tbsp) sweet cream butter room temp
- 1 ½ Cups (330 g) dark brown sugar packed
- 1 (1) large egg
- 1 tsp (1 tsp) pure vanilla extract
- 1 Cup (244 g) whole milk
- 2 Cups (473 ⅙ g) maraschino cherries chopped
- 1 Cup (180 g) mini chocolate chips
- 1 ½ Cups (180 g) powdered sugar
- 1 ½ Cups (340 ½ g) sweet cream butter softened
- 3 Tbsp (3 Tbsp) heavy cream
- 2 tsp (2 tsp) pure vanilla extract
- 1 (1) large piping bag with star tip
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and spray a whoopie pie pan with pam baking spray.
- Add the flour, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl and whisk until combined
- Using a standing mixer, beat the butter, brown sugar, egg, and vanilla until combined
- Alternate between the dry ingredients and the milk and gradually beat until well combined after each addition
- Fold in the chopped cherries and the chocolate chips
- Spoon 1 1⁄2 tbsp of batter into the whoopie pie pans and bake in the oven for 10 -12 minutes or until lightly golden brown
- Remove and allow to cool
- Repeat step with remaining batter until all baked
- Using a standing mixer, beat all ingredients until combined, fluffy and hold a peak.
- Scoop the frosting into the piping bag
- Pair the whoopie pies up and pipe a ring of frosting on the bottom whoopie pie
- Place the top onto the frosting and gently press down
- Devour! You'll thank me later!