7 ingredients are all that you need for this cheesy crockpot hashbrown casserole. This hashbrown casserole is great for a side dish for a weeknight meal, take to a family gathering, and more. If you are a fan of cheesy potatoes, this hashbrown recipe is gonna be a hit.
Cracker Barrel is known for its cheesy potatoes. You will find this recipe here; it is very similar in the flavor you can order from your favorite restaurant.
This potato side dish is also called funeral potatoes. The only difference is I didn’t add the crushed cornflakes on top that offer that crunchy texture. You are welcome to do so.
Table of Contents
This crockpot hashbrown casserole recipe is…
- Made with simple ingredients
- Quick prep
- Hands-off cooking in your crockpot
- Creamy and cheesy
What Do I Need To Make This Hashbrown Casserole Recipe
- Frozen Hashbrowns
- Sour Cream
- Cream of Chicken Soup
- Shredded Cheese
- Salt and Pepper to Taste
How to Make
The complete list of ingredients, quantities, and instructions can be found in the printable recipe card below.
First, you want to spray your crockpot with cooking spray to prevent sticking.
In a large bowl, mix all the ingredients except 1 cup of cheese.
Pour into the crockpot, and then cover and cook for 4 hours.
Remove lid, sprinkle with the reserved cheese, and cook another 20 minutes.
Once the cheese is melted, dish up and enjoy.
- Use a condensed cheese soup in replace of cream of chicken for a vegetarian option.
- Cubed hash browns work as well as the shredded hash browns for this recipe.
- Top the casserole with crushed cornflakes and broil in the oven for 1-3 minutes to crunch it up for a crispy topping.
- Instead of cheddar cheese use a pepper jack, Monterey cheese, etc.
If you happen to have leftovers, store them in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-4 days. Then reheat in the microwave. Or cover with aluminum foil and warm it up in the oven until the cheesy hashbrown casserole is warmed through.
There are two ways you can make this casserole in advance. The first way is you can prep all the ingredients and pour them into the crockpot. Then cover and store in the fridge for up to 24 hours. Then when you are ready to cook, place it in the crockpot and turn it low. You will need to add extra cook time since you are starting to cook from a cold pot. The second way is to cook it fully, then transfer it to an airtight container. Then reheat the next day, or leave it in the crockpot and warm it up the next day.
Want to make this casserole in the oven instead of the slow cooker? All you have to do is prepare the casserole the same. Pour into a greased pan, then top with cheese—Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour. Check to see how the casserole is coming along. If the cheese on top is nice and golden brown, the casserole is ready to dish up.
If you prefer to use fresh potatoes, go ahead and grab your grater and shred your own potatoes. Use the same amount of shredded potatoes as the recipe calls for. The cook time will stay the same.
You will find you can buy cubed potatoes with peppers and onions. This can be used to replace the shredded hashbrowns. It will work great and add another layer of flavor to each bite of this cheesy potato dish.
Need more side dishes? Try these:
Did you make this recipe? Or any other delicious recipes on my site? If so, please leave a ★★★★★ star rating and drop a 📝 comment below! Ensure you’re not missing a thing; you can subscribe to my newsletter and follow along with me on Pinterest, Facebook, and X (Twitter)! for the latest updates, recipes, and content.
Crockpot Hashbrown Casserole Recipe
- 3 cups (630 g) hash browns frozen
- 1 (1) cream of chicken soup 10.5 oz can
- 1 cup (230 g) sour cream
- 2 cups (226 g) shredded cheddar cheese divided
- 3 tablespoons (3 tablespoons) butter melted
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Prepare slow cooker with nonstick spray
- In a large bowl mix all ingredients except 1 cup of cheese until well combined3 cups hash browns, 1 cream of chicken soup, 1 cup sour cream, 3 tablespoons butter, 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Place in an even layer in slow cooker
- Cook 4 hours on low
- Sprinkle remaining 1 cup cheese on top
- Cook for an additional 20 minutes
- Serve immediately and enjoy!Salt and pepper to taste