Whip up a batch of these cherry oatmeal bars for breakfast or even a mid-day dessert. A delicious rolled oats and cherry filling bar that is mixed and baked and then easily sliced into bars. This reminds me of a formed cherry crisp recipe. Don’t wait and whip up this easy cherry pie filling recipe and serve it up this week.
Make sure to check out my no bake cherry cheesecakes in a jar or my cherry chocolate whoopie pies for more cherry lover recipes.
This Cherry Oatmeal Bars Recipe Is…
- One of Our Favorite Desserts
- Easy To Make
- Great For Busy Weekday Morning Ideas
- Stores Well
- Freezer Friendly
Ingredients Needed For Oatmeal Bars
- Flour – You can use all purpose flour or a gluten free flour blend if you want these bars to be gluten free.
- Brown Sugar – Light brown sugar or coconut sugar can be used for these bars. I love the caramel flavor the brown sugar brings.
- Baking Soda
- Salt –
- Rolled Oats – These are old fashioned style oats. You will find it offers a nice chewy texture to the bars.
- Butter – Real butter that is softened is what you will need. If you use salted butter, just omit the salt in the recipe.
- Cherry Pie Filling – So I used a can of cherry pie filling, but you can easily swap and use a cherry jam if you want.
How to Make Cherry Oatmeal Bars
The complete list of ingredients, quantities, and instructions can be found in the printable recipe card below.
Step One: Preheat the oven and grease your 8×8 baking dish. Set it aside.
Step Two: In a bowl, add your brown sugar, flour, baking soda, salt, and oats. Mix to combine.
Step Three: Add in the butter and work it into the mixture. It will create a crumble-like texture.
Step Four: Put 2 cups of the oat mixture in the pan, and spread out in an even layer. Then top with some of the pie filling.
Step Five: Top with the remaining crumble mixture and gently press into the cherry mixture.
Step Six: Bake as directed, and once done, allow to cool a bit, then slice and serve.
Helpful Tips and Variations To Recipe
- Lining the pan with parchment paper will help to ensure the bars come out of the pan very easily.
- Let your cherry bars cool on a wire rack once done to cool down a bit before you slice.
- The crumble will become golden brown, and the fruit will bubble when it is done.
- You can use sweet cherries or tart cherries for this recipe or do a mix of both. Or even reach for cherry preserves instead of pie filling.
- The oatmeal mixture is going to be crumbly, not wet like a cookie batter.
- Swap out the cherries with another type of pie filling or preserves. Apple would be a delicious one to consider.
- Pair with a scoop of vanilla ice cream for a tasty dessert option.
- Toss in 1/3 cup chocolate chips for an added twist of flavor to this delicious dessert.
Room Temperature – You will want to store your oatmeal cherry bars in an airtight container at room temperature. The bars will store for 2-4 days at room temperature. Or you can refrigerate for up to 4-6 days.
Freezing – You can also freeze leftover bars if you don’t plan to eat right away. Simply remove out of the square baking pan and place in a freezer friendly container. Freeze for 2-3 months. When you want to eat some, thaw in the fridge overnight or on the counter for an hour or so.
You will find that rolled oats, also known as old fashioned oats, are essential as they will offer a nice chew. You can use quick oats, but the texture will be a lot softer.
These are similar, but they are more like cherry breakfast bars since it combine oats instead of a cake-like texture. But you will find it is delicious and full of flavor. The oatmeal crumble on top of the bars is chewy and really hits the sweet tooth!
Need more brunch recipes? Try these:
Have you tried these Cherry Oatmeal Bars or any other recipe on my site? If so, please leave a star ★★★★★ rating and drop a comment below! Ensure you’re not missing a thing; you can also follow along with me on Pinterest, Facebook, Twitter, or My Facebook Group! For more incredible recipes!
Cherry Oatmeal Bars
- ½ cup light brown sugar or coconut sugar
- 1 cup flour or gluten free flour
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup rolled oats
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup butter softened
- ¾ cup cherry pie filling or jam
- Preheat oven to 350 °F and line 8×8 square baking dish with parchment paper
- Combine brown sugar, flour, baking soda, salt, and oats
- Stir or use hands to incorporate butter until the mixture is crumbly
- Press 2 cups into bottom of baking dish
- Next, evenly spread filling to ¼ inch from edge
- Sprinkle on remaining crumb mixture and lightly press into jam
- Bake 30-40 minutes until light brown
- Cool, cut into bars and serve
Leave a Reply