Bursting with citrus flavor, these Orange soda cupcakes with Orange soda buttercream frosting are the equivalent of a baked creamsicle! These are wonderful cupcakes made with vanilla cake mix and orange-flavored soda and jello. They are quite simple to make for your next summer get-together or BBQ party.
What could be better than an ice-cold glass of orange soda on a hot summer day? I’m sure many people would say nothing at all, but if you are looking for something sweet to snack on or to serve at your next party, these Orange Soda Creamsicle Cupcakes will do the trick.
They are so easy to make and they taste amazing! These orange soda cupcakes are the perfect summertime dessert! They’re made with boxed cake mix, orange soda, and jello. The frosting is homemade and tastes just like creamsicles! If you have never tried them before, now is a perfect time. You can find everything that you need in your local grocery store. Here’s how it’s done:
Table of Contents
Why you should make these Orange Soda Cupcakes
- These orange soda cupcakes are perfect if you like fluffy and moist cupcakes. It’s like magic when you use a can of soda and a cake mix together. With the addition of your favorite soda, you’ll get an unusually moist and soft cake that’s also tasty.
- The orange soda flavor in the cake mix and icing creates a pleasant, fluffy, and airy summer dessert. These orange soda cupcakes are light and refreshing, making them a great sweet treat for summer events.
- Adults and kids both love these cupcakes making them a crowd pleaser! I bet many will be surprised when you tell them what they are!
What You Need To Make This Orange Soda Creamsicle Cupcake Recipe
Substitutions and Variations
I adore these Orange Soda cupcakes, but any flavor of your favorite carbonated drink would be excellent in this recipe.
- Dr. Pepper Chocolate Cupcakes
- Lemon Lime 7-Up Soda Cupcakes
- Grape Soda, Strawberry Soda, or Cherry Soda would all work well for the cupcakes and frosting in this recipe.
- Root Beer Soda Cupcake
The complete list of ingredients, quantities, and instructions can be found in the printable recipe card below.
How to Make Orange Soda Cupcakes
Directions for Cupcakes:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray or line a standard muffin tin.
Steps 1-2: Add cake mix to a large mixing bowl. Using a hand or stand mixer, add in your oil, egg whites, water, and ¾ cup of Jello, and mix on medium until well incorporated.
Steps 3-4: Add batter into the muffin tin until each is about 2/3 full. Bake for 18-20 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Allow to cool completely before frosting.
Directions for Frosting:
Steps 5-6: In a large mixing bowl, using an electric hand or stand mixer, cream the butter, and beat until light and fluffy. Mix in vanilla, and ¼ cup of Jello.
Step 7: Mix the half and half or milk and orange soda together. (If you don’t, the orange soda on its own will break your frosting)
Step 8: Slowly mix in the powdered sugar, 1 cup at a time, while adding a bit of the liquid mixture from Step 6 in between each cup. Continue to mix for 1 minute or until creamy. Add in your orange food coloring (if desired).
Step 9: Prepare a piping bag and fill the bag with frosting and frost your cupcakes. Add your straw if desired. Enjoy!
- If the cupcakes are still warm when stored, they will leak steam, making the tops sticky. It is always advisable to cool your cupcakes before storing them in the fridge in an airtight container.
- If you don’t live in a humid location, you make keep the cupcakes in an airtight container at room temperature. The fridge dries the cupcakes.
- If you wish to store the cupcakes in the fridge, don’t add the icing. I suggest frosting them right before serving.
If orange soda isn’t readily available where you live, you can use 1 teaspoon of orange extract in the frosting instead, which will enhance the buttercream frosting’s orange flavor. Also, the orange flavor can still be achieved in your cake batter by adding 2 teaspoons of orange extract in addition to the jello.
A can of soda and a cake mix works well together. The carbonation in the drink can make cupcakes light, airy, and moist. I think you’ll be pleasantly surprised by the subtle difference adding a bit of soda can make!
More Dessert Recipes You May Enjoy
- Neapolitan Rice Krispies Treats
- Maw Maw’s Southerns Peach Cobbler
- Gluten-Free Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Unicorn Cheesecake On A Stick
- Mocha Chocolate Cupcakes with Pumpkin Spice Frosting
Did you make this recipe? Or any other delicious recipes on my site? If so, please leave a ★★★★★ star rating and drop a 📝 comment below! Ensure you’re not missing a thing; you can subscribe to my newsletter and follow along with me on Pinterest, Facebook, and X (Twitter)! for the latest updates, recipes, and content.
Orange Soda Creamsicle Cupcakes With Orange Soda Frosting!
- Two large mixing bowls
- Electric Hand mixer or Stand Mixer
- Orange Cupcake liners
- Paper straws
- Piping bag and icing tip
- 2 (2) sticks salted butter softened
- 1 teaspoon (1 teaspoon) clear vanilla
- ¼ (¼) package of orange flavored Jello
- 4 cups (480 g) powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon (1 tablespoon) half and half or whole milk
- 2 tablespoons (2 tablespoons) orange soda
- Orange food coloring
- 1 (1) large piping bag 1 large round frosting tip
- Paper straws optional
Directions for Cupcakes:
- Preheat oven to 350 °F (177 °C). Spray or line a standard muffin tin.
- Add cake mix to a large mixing bowl. Using a hand or stand mixer, add in your oil, egg whites, water, and ¾ cup of Jello, and mix on medium until well incorporated.
- Add batter into the muffin tin until each is about 2/3 full. Bake for 18-20 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Allow to cool completely before frosting.
Directions for Frosting:
- In a large mixing bowl, using an electric hand or stand mixer, cream the butter, and beat until light and fluffy. Mix in vanilla, and ¼ cup of Jello.
- Mix the half and half or milk and orange soda together. (If you don’t, the orange soda on it’s own will break your frosting)
- Slowly mix in the powdered sugar, 1 cup at a time, while adding a bit of the liquid mixture from Step 6 in between each cup. Continue to mix for 1 minute or until creamy. Add in your orange food coloring (if desired).
- Prepare piping bag and fill bag with frosting and frost your cupcakes. Add your straw if desired.