The luck of the Irish doesn’t stand a chance with this colorful pot of gold jello shots recipe. Learn how to make pot of gold jello shots with pineapple jello, cold whiskey and we can’t forget the rainbow topping. This St. Patrick’s Day jello shot is going to elevate your party to a whole new level.
These whiskey jello shots are ones that will get your party started. You can even whip them up for birthday party celebrations. Leave out the alcohol to make a kid friendly treat for a family friendly party.
You need to try out these Lucky Charms cupcakes for a simple dessert that is made and filled with marshmallows. Or for another jello shot recipe try this pina colada shot that is bursting with tropical flavor.
Top Reasons So Many Love This Recipe
- Fun rainbow candy topper
- Great for St. Patty’s Day – Or other events
- Lemon or Pineapple flavored jello works
- Party Approved
- Made with whiskey vs vodka
Ingredients In Rainbow Jello Shots
The complete list of ingredients, quantities, and instructions can be found in the printable recipe card below.
- Jello – Pineapple or Lemon Jello
- Cold Whiskey – Southern Comfort, Jameson Whiskey, etc.
- Whipped Cream – Cool Whip
- Sprinkles – Gold colored.
- Candy – Rainbow Candy Strip
How To Make Pot of Gold Jello Shots
Here is all it takes to make these bright yellow jello shots with whipped cream and a sugar coated rainbow candy. Watch out world; these shots are taking over the world!
- Start by boiling your water as directed. Then you will remove from the heat and stir in the jello. This takes a few minutes to get all the jello granules melted.
- Next, you will add in the cold whisky and stir to combine.
- Pour into the shot glasses on a tray, and aim for 2/3rds way full.
- Refrigerate for 2 hours or until the lemon or pineapple jello shots are set.
- Top with whipped cream and add a strip of the rainbow candy on top. Add gold sprinkles.
Tips from our Recipe Developer
- Any flavor of jello works or this jello shot recipe. Blue would be fun to mimic the sky.
- Make sure to allow the jello to fully set up before you add on the whipped cream.
- Take the rainbow candy and cut it into small strips. You can place it right on top or bend to make it a rainbow shape.
- Add a dusting of gold sprinkles for the pot of gold.
How to Store Shots
If you are looking to store your jello shots, you will want to keep them covered in the fridge. Do not add the whipped cream, candy, or sprinkles till you are ready to serve it up. Otherwise, you are going to find the jello breaks down and will become watery on top of the shots.
You can’t freeze jello shots as it alters and breaks down the texture. Go right ahead and make what you plan to eat.
Looking for things to serve with or before you pull out the St. Patrick’s day shots? Here are a few more Irish friendly recipes to whip up.
Frequently Asked Questions
Vodka is the traditional alcohol for jello shots but know you can step out of the box. White rum, vodka, whisky, or other styles of alcohol work as well. For this particular one, I did a whisky jello shot.
While you may not get drunk off jello shots, you will find if you eat too many of them, you can feel a buzz from the alcohol. Just always drink responsibly.
Allowing your jello to cool for a few minutes (5-10) after you get the jello dissolved in hot water allows the mixture to cool a bit. By doing this, it allows less of the alcohol to burn off due to the hot temperature. You do not have to do this, but you will find it will keep more liquor in the shots.
Some prefer to swallow the jello, while others chew it a few times then swallow. It is up to you on whatever personal preference you like. Just make sure to take off the candy topping if you plan, just swallow it whole, so you do not choke.
More Jello Shot Recipes We Love
Did you make this recipe? Or any other recipe on my site? If so, please leave a star ★★★★★ rating and drop a comment below! Ensure you’re not missing a thing; you can follow along with me on Pinterest, Facebook, and Twitter! For more easy delicious homemade recipes!
Printable Recipe Card
Pot Of Gold Jello Shots
- 1 3.4-oz package lemon or pineapple Jell-O
- ½ cup cold whisky
- 1 cup Cool Whip
- Gold sprinkles
- Rainbow candy pieces
- In a small pan, bring 1 cup of water to a boil. Add Jell-O mix and whisk until dissolved. (If using alcohol).
- Remove from heat and whisk in 1 more cup of cold water and the whisky. Place shot glasses on a tray and pour in jello mixture until about ⅔ full.
- Refrigerate for about 2 hours or until fully set
- Top each cup with whipped cream and a rainbow piece.
Leave a Reply