Indian beef is one of my favorite dishes to cook low and slow all day in the slow cooker. A total comfort food, curry beef is excellent served over a bed of rice or with some naan bread for dipping.
To simplify the dish, I used beef stew meat that was already diced up into cubes, and then as it cooks all day, it gives this meat that juicy and tender texture that literally melts in your mouth. Try out this slow cooker pineapple pork butt for another tremendous slow cooker dinner idea.
This Slow Cooker Indian Beef Recipe Is…
- One of the Best Slow Cooker Recipes
- Indian Cuisine
- Indian Beef Curry Recipe
- Made with Beef Chunks or Diced Beef Roast
- So Much Flavor
Table of Contents
Here is all the ingredients you need for this delicious curry! Layers of flavor in every single bite. Make every week a curry night with this simple recipe.
Beef Stew Meat – You will want to use cut of beef for this recipe. You can cut up a beef roast or even steak for this recipe if that is what you have on hand.
Onion – White or yellow onion works best for this recipe.
Garlic – Minced garlic is best; you can use pre-minced in the jar.
Ginger – I used fresh ginger, but you can replace with ginger powder.
Red Chili Flakes – Add a little if you want mild heat, or add a bit more if you want more spice.
Red Curry Paste – Any brand of curry paste works, and I prefer the paste over red curry powder.
Diced Tomatoes – I used canned, but you could dice up fresh tomatoes if you prefer.
Cinnamon – This will add extra depth of flavor to your curry beef.
Za’atar Seasoning Blend – You can find this at spice stores, grocery stores, or shop online.
Coriander – I love the coriander in this recipe; it is going to give richness to your curry dish.
Naan Bread – You can use naan for dipping and slathering up the sauce.
How to Make Indian Curry
The complete list of ingredients, quantities, and instructions can be found in the printable recipe card below.
Step One: Add your spices, onion, garlic, and tomatoes in a bowl and mix well.
Step Two: Coat the stew meat by tossing it in the mixture, making sure all the meat is fully coated. Place the mixture in the slow cooker.
Step Three: Turn on and cook on low for 5-6 hours.
Step Four: Once done, serve with naan bread or even a bed of rice.
Tips and Variations
- For a different type of beef, cut up a chuck roast into cubes.
- Add in a teaspoon of turmeric for extra flavor.
- Add in 1/2 tablespoons of oil and sear the meat for 1-2 minutes to lock in some flavor and add texture. You will need to do this on the stovetop.
- Instead of diced tomatoes, you can use tomato puree if you don’t want the tomato texture.
- This Indian dish can be changed up with other fragrant spices you love when cooking Indian food.
- Give the tender meat a good stir making sure you get all the little bit of food in each bowl.
- The cook time does vary depending on the size of the beef cuts.
- Add a dollop of plain yogurt or lime juice on top for serving. It elevates the flavor a ton.
- This is a thick sauce, but if you want thicker, add cornstarch with water 30 minutes before serving to offer the best results in thickening the sauce more. I do a tablespoon of each.
Chuck steak or stew meat is the best meat for curry. It has a lovely marble of fat compared to meat which will really help enhance the flavor of this curry.
You will find that depending on your preference; both are wonderful when making curry. I find that some prefer chicken, and other people opt for beef.
Did you make this recipe? Or any other delicious recipes on my site? If so, please leave a ★★★★★ star rating and drop a 📝 comment below! Ensure you’re not missing a thing; you can subscribe to my newsletter and follow along with me on Pinterest, Facebook, and X (Twitter)! for the latest updates, recipes, and content.
Slow Cooker Indian Curry
- 2 lbs (907 ⅕ g) beef stew meat
- 1 small yellow onion sliced thin
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tablespoons ginger minced
- Pinch red chili flakes
- ¼ cup (59 ⅐ g) red curry paste
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon za’atar seasoning blend
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- Naan bread for serving
- In a large bowl combine onion, garlic, ginger, chili flakes, curry paste, tomatoes, cinnamon, za’atar, and coriander until well combined
- Add in stew meat and toss until completely coated
- Spoon into slow cooker
- Cover and cook on low 5-6 hours
- Serve with naan bread and enjoy!
Get 3 FREE Conversion charts + Bonus!
When you subscribe to the latest updates, recipes, and content.