Alabama Fire Crackers – Red pepper flakes, spicy ranch mix, garlic, and onion powder are all tossed with mini saltines for a homemade cracker snack that will have your mouth on fire and your hand going back for more!
There is no shortage of delicious foods that come out of the South. They have everything from pecan pie to sweet tea, but these Alabama fire crackers are one of my favorite Southern delicacies!
Alabama fire crackers are spicy little snacks that are perfect for game day or any time you want a snack that is both crunchy and fiery. These easy-to-make mini crackers are almost like homemade Cheez-its (without the cheese cracker base) and uses a combination of spices and herbs that will have you making a second batch before you even finish your first!
This spicy snack has a lot going for it- They can be made in less than 5 minutes and are ready to eat in one hour. They are easy to make, they can be customized to your taste preferences, and since they are made at home, you know exactly what ingredients are in them! Let’s dig in!
Equipment You’ll Need To Make Alabama Fire Crackers
As far as kitchen tools go this recipe requires almost none! All you need is a small bowl to mix your spices and a ziplock bag. That is it!! How great is that! When it comes to party prep the fewer dishes the better!
Full directions and measurements for this dish are in the printable recipe card below. These step by step photos and instructions are here to help you visualize how to make this recipe.
Ingredients For Your Alabama Fire Crackers
- crushed red pepper flakes
- spicy ranch dressing mix
- garlic powder
- onion powder
- freshly ground black pepper
- premium mini saltines
- canola oil
How To Make Spicy Alabama Fire Crackers
- In a small bowl, combine the crushed red pepper flakes, spicy ranch dressing mix, garlic powder, onion powder, and freshly ground black pepper until fully combined.
- Put the mini saltines into a gallon zip-top bag. Pour the canola oil into the bag and seal the top. Gently shake to distribute the oil onto all of the crackers.
- Open the top of the bag and sprinkle in the seasoning mix. Seal the bag again and gently shake until all crackers are fully coated.
- Empty the contents of the bag into an air-tight container. Allow sitting for at least 1 hour before serving.
Alabama Fire Crackers FAQs
Can I use plain Cheez-It crackers instead of mini saltines?
If you prefer to use Cheez-It crackers instead of saltines, you can do so. They work great and add a cheesy flavor profile. They taste like spicy ranch cheese crackers. You can make a batch of mini saltines and Cheez-It crackers at one time to spice it up (no pun intended!).
Is there a way to make this recipe gluten-free?
You could easily substitute some gluten-free crackers for saltines. Just go for a non-flavored gluten-free cracker.
What else can I put on top of my Alabama fire crackers?
If you want to go the extra mile and are making these crackers for a party or as a table snack. You can add a variety of things such as shredded cheese, diced jalapenos, or green onions for extra color/flavor! Toss with the seasoning.
What do I do if my crackers end up soggy?
No one wants to eat a soggy cracker. If you accidentally added too much oil or left your crackers sitting too long, you can bake them in the oven to bring them back to crispy. Preheat your oven to 275 degrees and spread the crackers out in an even layer on a baking sheet. Bake for 20 minutes, and they should be crispy again!
What is the best way to store these crackers?
Store your finished Alabama fire crackers in a sealed container or ziplock bag at room temperature for up to three days, and they will be fresh every time!
Other Snack/Appetizer Recipes You May Like
- EASY DIY HOMEMADE BAKED PIZZA ROLLS (3 INGREDIENTS!)
- FLAVOR-INFUSED SEASONED BAKED TORTILLA CHIPS (CORN & FLOUR!)
- 5 INGREDIENT VIRAL TIKTOK PASTA CHIPS RECIPE
- EASY HOT PARTY DIPS: 4 DIPS IN ONE PAN!
- APPETIZER RING: PIGS IN A BLANKET RING CHILI CHEESE BAKE
- BAKED SOUTHWESTERN EGG ROLLS