A play on a spinach quesadilla that is not only healthy but delicious. Gooey mozzarella cheese packed with fresh spinach, Italian herbs cradled inside a crispy tortilla shell served with tangy pizza sauce makes for the perfect lunch box recipe.
If you are looking for a healthy lunch box recipe to please your picky eater, look no further than this spinach and cheese quesadilla. This easy-to-make meal is very versatile, making it perfect for any age group. It’s also one of those recipes that yield delicious results without having to follow a recipe step by step.
As long as you have tortillas, mozzarella cheese, and spinach on hand, the rest of this dish is entirely up to your imagination. If you want to make it more of a meal, add pizza sauce in between the two tortillas and place other ingredients like olives or mushrooms inside it!
Regardless of how you decide to prepare this dish, one thing is for sure: it’s a delicious way to get your daily dose of veggies.
Equipment You’ll Need To Make Your Spinach Pizzadilla
All you need is a medium non-stick skillet to make this lunch box recipe! If you want to skip washing dishes all together throw some tin foil on a baking sheet and toast your quesadilla.
Full directions and measurements for this dish are in the printable recipe card below. These step by step photos and instructions are here to help you visualize how to make this recipe.
Ingredients For Your Spinach & Cheese Quesadilla
- soft tortilla
- mozzarella cheese
- italian seasoning
- baby spinach leaves
- Oil for frying or cooking spray
- Pizza sauce
How To Make A Lunch Box Quesadilla
- Add a bit of oil or cooking spray to a non-stick skillet over medium low heat.
- Place 1 medium soft tortilla in a skillet and spread shredded cheese over one half of the tortilla.
- Sprinkle about 1/8 tsp italian seasoning over the cheese and cook until the cheese begins to melt.
- Top cheese with about 1/3 cup spinach leaves.
- Fold in half and flip so spinach side is down and cook for another minute until spinach has wilted a little and tortilla is golden brown on both sides.
- Serve with pizza sauce for dipping.
Spinach Pizzadilla FAQs
Is the quesadilla any good cold?
If you’re worried that the quesadilla won’t taste good cold, don’t fret. It actually tastes pretty delicious even when cold! The nice thing about using a tortilla is that it doesn’t tend to get soggy compared to sending like a grilled cheese.
How long do I cook the tortilla for?
Depending on how crispy you want your tortilla to be, it usually takes about two minutes per side to get that golden brown color. You can then flip the quesadilla after about a minute or so to ensure it cooks evenly.
Can I make this spinach pizzadilla the night before?
Yep! If you like to make your lunch boxes the night before, you certainly can. Just make sure your pizzadilla has enough time to reach room temperature, so it’s not cold at lunchtime.
How do I reheat my pizza tortillas?
You can always microwave or throw them in the oven to reheat them, but if you want to get the most flavor out of it, I suggest heating up your oven and cooking the quesadilla for about five minutes until crispy.
Can I freeze my pizza tortillas?
If you or your child has a way to reheat the quesadilla, you can freeze them for a quick lunch during the week. Make sure you let your pizzadilla fully cool before placing it into an airtight container, then freeze. When you’re ready to eat, just let the quesadilla thaw out in your fridge overnight, heat, and enjoy!
What do I put on my spinach pizzadillas?
There are so many delicious ways to make this dish even tastier; add olives, tomatoes, or even mushrooms to the mix! You can even dress it up with pizza sauce or ranch dressing which makes for a great dipping sauce.
Other Lunch Box Recipes You’ll Love!
- 3 INGREDIENT HOMEMADE HOT POCKETS WITH CRESCENT ROLLS – TURKEY LUNCH IDEAS!
- BREAKFAST LUNCH BOX IDEAS: FRUIT FILLED WAFFLE TACO, EGGS & SAUSAGE!
- TURKEY BACON CLUB LUNCH KABOBS
- LUNCHTIME IDEAS: PB & JELLY BANANA SUSHI TORTILLA WRAP
- 11 SCHOOL LUNCH IDEAS YOUR KIDS WILL LOVE
- LUNCHBOX PESTO TORTELLINI