Air Fryer chicken and waffles are the ultimate comfort food. A crispy coated chicken that is paired with waffles. Sweet and savory in each bite of this air fryer chicken recipe. Drizzle with some maple syrup and dive in.
Do you enjoy the pairing of chicken and waffles? If so, give this version a try. The air fryer cooks the chicken perfectly, giving it a super crispy coating, with tender and juicy meat on the inside.
Why This Air Fryer Chicken and Waffles Recipe Is A Hit…
- Quick Prep on the chicken.
- I used chicken breast for a boneless chicken option.
- You can use homemade waffles or use a waffle batter.
- Healthier than deep frying or pan frying the chicken in oil.
- The crust of the chicken is crispy but uses minimal oil.
- Drizzle with syrup and grab a fork and knife and slice into it!
What Do I Need For This Southern Chicken and Waffles
How To Make Chicken And Waffles
Start by using a mallet and pound out the chicken to flatten it. Then cut into 4 cutlets.
To assemble, place the waffle on a plate, top with chicken and another waffle if you want, and drizzle with syrup.
Tips and Variations To Recipe
- Season the flour with any of your favorite spices when it comes to fried chicken. Season salt, salt and pepper, etc.
- Add a little milk to the egg when you whisk it up, for a even coating of wet on the chicken.
- Make sure that your chicken fully cooks in the air fryer. Depending on thickness of chicken will vary in how long it takes to cook.
- You are welcome to use frozen waffles you reheat, if you do not want to make your own homemade waffles. I prefer making my own for the fluffy texture.
- You can use bone-in chicken or tenderloins in replace if you would like. Just cook the chicken accordingly.
If you do not eat all your chicken or waffles right away, they store. You can refrigerate any leftovers you might have. Just place in airtight containers and store in the fridge. I recommend storing the chicken and waffle separately from each other.
You can also freeze both the waffles and the chicken. Store in the freezer for 3-4 months long. Then thaw in the fridge overnight, or reheat it straight from being frozen!
Here are a few common questions when it comes to making this air fryer chicken and waffles recipe!
How do know when chicken is done?
Why is my chicken not browning up?
The Best Air Fryer Chicken and Waffles
- 2 chicken breasts
- ½ cup of corn starch
- ½ cup of flour
- 2 tablespoons of nature’s seasoning
- 2 eggs
- 2 ½ cups of waffle mix
- 1 ½ cups of water
- Pound the chicken breasts using the flat side of a cleaver or kitchen hammer. Pound breast to 1/2” thick. Cut breast into 4 fillets.
- In a bowl, mix flour and cornstarch with natures seasoning. In another bowl, beat the eggs
- Coat the fillets in flour mix, then egg wash and then back into the flour mix.
- Spray air fryer basket with oil and place fillets in basket. Spray fillets with oil.
- Cook fillets on 380°f for 12-15 minutes. Make sure chicken internal temp reaches 165°f
- Flip fillets and cook for 3-5 to crisp breading.
- Let fillets rest and cook.
- Mix water and pancake mix to create waffle batter. Using waffle iron, pour batter and cook. Make sure batter is evenly dispersed.
- Assemble the fillets between two waffle squares, coat with warm syrup and devour!