Air Fryer chicken and waffles are the ultimate comfort food. A crispy coated chicken that is paired with waffles. Sweet and savory in each bite of this air fryer chicken recipe. Drizzle with some maple syrup and dive in.
Do you enjoy the pairing of chicken and waffles? If so, give this version a try. The air fryer cooks the chicken perfectly, giving it a super crispy coating, with tender and juicy meat on the inside.
Why This Air Fryer Chicken and Waffles Recipe Is A Hit…
- Quick Prep on the chicken.
- I used chicken breast for a boneless chicken option.
- You can use homemade waffles or use a waffle batter.
- Healthier than deep frying or pan frying the chicken in oil.
- The crust of the chicken is crispy but uses minimal oil.
- Drizzle with syrup and grab a fork and knife and slice into it!
What Do I Need For This Southern Chicken and Waffles
How To Make Chicken And Waffles
Start by using a mallet and pound out the chicken to flatten it. Then cut into 4 cutlets.
To assemble, place the waffle on a plate, top with chicken and another waffle if you want, and drizzle with syrup.
Tips and Variations To Recipe
- Season the flour with any of your favorite spices when it comes to fried chicken. Season salt, salt and pepper, etc.
- Add a little milk to the egg when you whisk it up, for a even coating of wet on the chicken.
- Make sure that your chicken fully cooks in the air fryer. Depending on thickness of chicken will vary in how long it takes to cook.
- You are welcome to use frozen waffles you reheat, if you do not want to make your own homemade waffles. I prefer making my own for the fluffy texture.
- You can use bone-in chicken or tenderloins in replace if you would like. Just cook the chicken accordingly.
If you do not eat all your chicken or waffles right away, they store. You can refrigerate any leftovers you might have. Just place in airtight containers and store in the fridge. I recommend storing the chicken and waffle separately from each other.
You can also freeze both the waffles and the chicken. Store in the freezer for 3-4 months long. Then thaw in the fridge overnight, or reheat it straight from being frozen!
Here are a few common questions when it comes to making this air fryer chicken and waffles recipe!
How do know when chicken is done?
Chicken needs to reach an internal temperature of 165 degrees. To ensure your chicken is fully cooked use a meat thermometer to check the thickest part of the chicken. If you use bone-in chicken make sure to not touch a bone, as it will give a false reading.
Why is my chicken not browning up?
Air frying is different than other methods. Spritz the chicken with cooking oil and it will help take the coating and give it a golden brown color. If you need to spritz the chicken with oil a few times as it cooks to get it golden and crispy.
Can I use cooking spray in the air fryer?
It is recommended to not use cooking spray in the air fryer. The spray can eat the enamel off of the air fryer tray. It is recommended to buy an oil mister where you pour oil into a spray bottle and mist the food you are cooking or trays.