If you enjoy making pastries at home, you might have found yourself buying puff pastry dough at the store. Learn how to make homemade puff pastry with simple pantry essentials you might already have on hand.
Once you learn how to make this simple pastry dough, you will never want to buy it again. Simple steps, for a light and fluffy pastry dough that is just as good as your favorite bakery!
Why This Puff Pastry Dough Recipe A Must Make
- 4 Simple Ingredients
- Quick To Make
- Fluffy and Tender Pastry Dough
What Ingredient Are Needed For Pastry Dough
- Cold Butter
How to Make Puff Pastry Dough
The full directions on how to make this puff dough are in the printable recipe card below. This is a quick walk-through on how to make the pastry dough.
Start by mixing the flour and salt together. Then you will take your cold butter, and use a pastry cutter to mix it in with the flour.
Once the butter and flour are mixed well, they should be crumbly. Begin slowly adding in your water and mix well.
Place the formed dough on a floured surface and roll out the dough into rectangles then fold up.
Once the dough is formed, freeze, or use it right away.
Pastry dough needs to be refrigerated until you are ready to use it. You do not want the butter to warm up, as it will affect the whole texture of the dough.
So wrap in a plastic wrap or aluminum foil, then place in a freezer bag or airtight container and freeze for 3-4 months. Thaw on the counter for a short bit, then once you can work the dough, begin using for whatever recipe you have in mind.
Helpful Tips For Making Pastry Dough
- You need to ensure you are using real butter for the pastry dough. Otherwise, the texture will be off.
- If you use salted butter, omit the salt in the recipe.
- Work fast when you are working with the dough, as you do not want the butter to melt. Your hands will warm it up when you work with the dough once you place on a floured surface.
- All purpose flour is what I recommend using for this recipe. I have not tried it with any other type of flour. So I can’t say if it would turn out.
How Much Does This Recipe Make
This recipe makes around 2 boxes of puff pastry of what you would buy in the store. It is a good amount of dough.
If you are needing to have a lot more to make a larger batch of pastries, then feel free to double the batch. The biggest thing with doing a double batch is making sure to work fast enough the butter doesn’t get too soft.
Here are some common questions about this homemade pastry dough recipe.
is phyllo and puff pastry the same thing?
What is puff pastry dough used for?
Can I make puff pastry in advance?
How to Make Homemade Puff Pastry Dough
- 2 cups of flour
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- 10 tablespoons of cold butter
- ½ cup of ice water
- In a mixing bowl, mix the flour and salt.
- Chop the butter into small pieces and cut into the flour using a pastry cutter or a mixing paddle. Add water and mix
- On a floured surface, knead the dough and roll it out into a rectangle.
- Fold into thirds and roll out again, repeat 3-4 times
- Freeze or use right away for your favorite pastry.