Baked chicken Parmesan is an easy and delicious weeknight dinner. Thinly sliced chicken that is dredged in breadcrumbs and Parmesan cheese and baked to crispy golden perfection. Add on marinara and mozzarella and pair with your favorite sides.
Oven baked chicken parmesan will help take out excess grease compared to frying in a skillet. Plus it allows for a hands off cooking process.
Table of Contents
Why you’ll love this weeknight oven baked chicken parmesan recipe
- Made with boneless chicken
- Thin sliced chicken so super tender
- Crispy breading
- Easy weeknight dinner
- Just a little over 30 minute dinner idea
What you need for this chicken parmesan recipe
Chicken – Boneless skinless chicken breasts are what you will need. Thinly slice the chicken cutlets so they are even sliced.
Breadcrumbs – You can use Italian breadcrumbs or plain breadcrumbs, depending on the flavor you want. If you do use plan you might flavor with some garlic powder, Italian seasoning, etc. Panko bread crumbs can be used as well.
Parmesan Cheese – Parmesan helps to add nice flavor to the chicken!
Butter – I do recommend real butter, not margarine. I find that you get a lot more flavor.
Mozzarella Cheese – You can use fresh mozzarella or shredded. Just use what you have on hand.
Marinara Sauce- Here, you can use homemade marinara sauce or your favorite store bought jar. Just know it’s a bold flavor, so make sure you like the flavor.
How To Make Baked Chicken Parmesan
The complete list of ingredients, quantities, and instructions can be found in the printable recipe card below.
- Step 1: Preheat the oven and then grease your casserole dish. I like using a cooking spray to ensure the pan is coated well. Otherwise, it can stick to the crispy crust of the parmesan chicken.
- Step 2: Add bread crumbs and Parmesan cheese in a shallow dish. Mix to combine and set to the side. (Photo 1)
- Step 3: Next, brush both sides of the chicken with the melted butter with a silicone brush. (Photo 2)
- Step 4: Dip the chicken in the breadcrumb mixture, getting the coating on the chicken. Then place in the baking sheet. (Photos 3 & 4)
- Step 5: Bake as directed, then remove and top with sauce and cheese. Toss back in the oven to finish cooking. (Photos 5 & 6)
Dish up and serve! You can top with fresh parsley or fresh basil for garnish if you would like.
Storage and leftovers
Refrigerate any leftovers you have in the fridge. Place in an airtight container and store for up to 3 days.
To reheat, warm in the microwave for a quick reheat. Or you can place it on a baking sheet and cover tightly with foil and reheat in the oven until warmed.
You can freeze your chicken too. Just place it in a freezer-friendly container and freeze it for up to 3 months. Then thaw in the fridge the night before. Or reheat from frozen if you want.
Variations to Recipe
- You can use Panko breadcrumbs for more of a crunch.
- You can also toast breadcrumbs in a tablespoon of butter on the stove for an even more crunchy texture.
- Make extra just ensure the chicken is in a single layer.
- Thin chicken is key or you will need to add additional bake time to the recipe.
- For extra crispy chicken pan fry it for a few minutes in a large skillet with a little oil to create a really golden crust. Then finish baking in oven.
- Once done top with extra sauce if you want for a delicious meal the whole family can enjoy.
- You can use a spaghetti sauce or even a homemade tomato sauce in replace of the marinara.
- Add grated cheese on top right before serving.
Chicken is done when you check the internal temperature reads 165 degrees F.
Depending on the thickness of the chicken, the cooking time does vary. Just cook the chicken a bit longer until it is fully done.
Of course. Feel free to use gluten free breadcrumbs if you want. Cover lightly with foil if you find the breadcrumbs are browning too fast. Some gluten free bread can do that.
What to serve with oven baked chicken parm
Pair with a delicious side salad, garlic bread, or even serve over a bed of pasta. The options are endless. And if you want to watch what you are eating, serve with some zucchini noodles.
Need more weeknight dinner recipes? Try these:
Did you make this recipe? Or any other delicious recipes on my site? If so, please leave a ★★★★★ star rating and drop a 📝 comment below! Ensure you’re not missing a thing; you can subscribe to my newsletter and follow along with me on Pinterest, Facebook, and X (Twitter)! for the latest updates, recipes, and content.
Baked Chicken Parmesan
- Baking Dish
- 4 (4) chicken breasts pounded or cut thin
- ¾ cup (81 g) bread crumbs
- ¼ cup (25 g) parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons (2 tablespoons) butter melted
- ¾ cup (84 g) mozzarella cheese shredded
- 1 cup (245 g) marinara sauce
- Cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 450 °F (232 °C) and prepare a baking sheet with nonstick spray
- In a shallow dish mix bread crumbs and parmesan until well combined
- Brush chicken on both sides with melted butter then coat both sides with crumb/parmesan mixture
- Place on prepared baking sheet and bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown
- Remove from oven and spread marinara sauce over each piece of chicken then sprinkle on mozzarella
- Bake for an additional 5 minutes until cheese is melted
- Serve over pasta