Simplify dinner with this chili cheese dog bake. A hot dog but with a hot dog, chili, and cheese topped and bake in a casserole pan. This makes it easy to serve the whole family cheddar cheese topped chili dogs with minimal prep. This chili dog casserole is so simple and kid friendly.
Simple ingredients for a twist on a classic hot dog with chili. This is an easy meal you can use homemade chili or canned chili. Either way this is a wonderful chili cheese dog bake dinner for a busy weeknight.
Table of Contents
Why you’ll love this chili dog bake
- Hot chili and gooey cheese
- Great for leftover chili
- Top anyway you want – red onion, sour cream, mustard, etc.
- Game day friendly dinner
- Casserole form for easy prep
- Warm hot dog buns
- Twist on a classic chili cheese dog
- Kid friendly
Ingredients for chili dog bake
- Beef Hot Dogs – You can use any type of hot dogs but the beef hot dogs are what we prefer.
- Hot Dog Buns – Grab your hot dog buns of choice. I like to buy quality buns, so they don’t fall apart.
- Garlic Butter Spread – Make homemade garlic butter spread or buy it at the grocery store.
- Chili – So you can use canned chili or homemade chili for this recipe.
- Cheddar Cheese – Shredded cheese is the key, as it creates that gooey cheesy goodness.
- Red Onion – Optional for topping your hot dogs.
How To Make chili cheese dog bake
Step One: Preheat the oven and grease your 9×13 casserole dish. Set it aside.
Step Two: Spread the garlic butter on each bun and then place the hot dog inside the bun.
Step Three: Top each hot dog with some of the chili. Then add some shredded cheese on top of the hot dogs.
Step Four: Bake as directed; you want the cheese melted and bubbly.
Step Five: Let stand a few minutes, then add red onions if you want or your favorite toppings.
How to Store Leftovers
Refrigerate – You can refrigerate any chili cheese dogs you do not eat right away. Place in an airtight container in the fridge for 1-3 days. Just know the hot dog bun will become soggy as it sits. So feel free to discard the bun if you don’t want to eat it when softer.
Variations To Recipe
- Wrap hot dogs in crescent roll dough and place on top of a bed of chili. Make sure the wrapped hot dogs have the seam side down of crescent roll.
- Mix in a little cooked ground beef with chili to add more protein.
- Add any toppings you want on top of the chili to bake in the dish.
- You can wrap hot dogs in pizza crust instead of hot dog buns.
- Turkey chili can be used if you want.
- Any type of chili works for this recipe.
- You can use mini corn dogs instead for this hot dog casserole.
This is a great recipe to make as much or as little as you want. Just use a larger pan or use two 9×13 casserole pans. Or, if you want to downsize the recipe, you can do that as well. Simply do fewer hot dogs and chili if you don’t want to feed too many.
Need more easy dinner recipes? Try these:
Did you make this recipe? Or any other delicious recipes on my site? If so, please leave a ★★★★★ star rating and drop a 📝 comment below! Ensure you’re not missing a thing; you can subscribe to my newsletter and follow along with me on Pinterest, Facebook, and X (Twitter)! for the latest updates, recipes, and content.
Chili Cheese Dog Bake
- 8 (8) Beef hot dogs
- 8 (8) Hot dog buns
- 2 ounces (56 ⅔ g) Garlic butter spread
- 2 cups (300 g) or 1 can prepared chili
- 2 cups (226 g) shredded cheddar cheese
- ¼ cup (40 g) Red onion diced (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Grease a 9 x 13 casserole dish with cooking spray.
- Spread garlic butter on each bun before placing the hot dog inside the bun.
- Place buns in casserole dish. You may have to work to get all 8 buns into the casserole.
- Top each hot dog with 1/8 of the chili.
- Sprinkle shredded cheese over the top of the hot dogs.
- Bake for 30 – 35 minutes or until cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Let stand 5 minutes to cool slightly before serving.
- Add diced red onion to garnish if desired. Serve with your favorite hot dog toppings.