Bursting with summer flavors — Chunky Garden Salsa is a refreshing snack made with fresh tomatoes, peppers, and aromatics and delicately seasoned with salt, ground cumin, and lemon and lime juices. This delicious and nutritious snack is a family favorite! It can be served on top of tacos or as a dip with your favorite chips!
This Chunky Garden Fresh Salsa recipe is a great way to celebrate tomato season. Enjoy the crisp flavor of fresh tomatoes while they’re in abundance. Not only is it tomato season, but peppers, onions, and herbs are also bountiful during this time of the year. Coincidence? I think not! Nature knew they were needed to make fresh delicious salsa!
So, what are you waiting for? Pick those vegetables from your garden or go to a local farmer’s market near you, and create a fresh salsa for the whole family to enjoy.
Why you should make this Chunky Garden Fresh Salsa Recipe
- The recipe for garden fresh salsa makes a healthy snack! The salsa is packed with nutrients thanks to the use of tomatoes, peppers, and cilantro. The lime and lemon juice supply the vitamin C and calcium that you and your family need. All the ingredients are rich in antioxidants, which protect the body from cell damage, cancer, diabetes, and dementia.
- This garden fresh salsa is perfect for people who can’t get enough of chunky salsa! The tomatoes and peppers are diced, so each bite contains a chunk of delicious goodness. The crispness of the peppers complements the delicate texture of the tomatoes. The contrast is incredible!
- It’s a great way to use up any extra produce you may have from your garden! You can even can this recipe if you like to stock pile salsa for the winter months.
If you love recipes like this, you may also enjoy this tomato-less fresh peach salsa!
What You Need To Make This Chunky Garden Fresh Salsa with Fresh Tomatoes Recipe
- medium size tomatoes or several small
- minced garlic
- jalapeno pepper
- mild heat pepper, corbaci for example
- green bell pepper
- medium red onion
- fresh cilantro or dried cilantro
- ground cumin
- lemon juice
- lime juice
How to Make Chunky Garden Fresh Salsa with Fresh Tomatoes
Full directions and measurements for this dish are in the printable recipe card below. These step-by-step photos and instructions are here to help you visualize how to make this recipe.
Remove seeds from bell pepper, jalapeno pepper, and corbaci pepper, and dice.
Finely chop red onion.
Allow salsa to mellow at room temperature before serving. Serve with tortilla chips.
Salsa can be kept in an airtight jar in the refrigerator for up to 5 days after it’s made. Because it is made with fresh ingredients and has no preservatives, it will only last a week. Make sure you eat the salsa right away.
- How to avoid soupy salsa? Tomatoes should be juiced. Gently squeeze the juice and seeds out by rotating it in your hand. Dice the tomatoes when you’re done juicing them.
- How to cut the tomatoes? Cut the tomatoes in half lengthwise and then into quarters using a serrated knife. The seeds and white core can be removed by running a knife through each quarter. Next, cut the quarters into strips and make cubes out of the strips.
Substitutions and Variations
- Smooth Version – If you want to make your salsa more resturant style with a smooth consistency, pulse the ingredients together in a food processor.
- Reduce the heat – To dial down the spice, remove the Jalapeño and Corbaci peppers. Simply add more red and green bell pepper you use.
What is the easiest way to chop the ingredients?
Do you need to peel the tomatoes?
More Salsa & Dip Recipes You May Enjoy
- Fresh Jalapeno Peach Salsa
- Sweet and Spicy Corn Salsa
- Garden-Fresh Salsa Verde
- Pico de Gallo (Salsa Fresca)
- Mango Habanero Guacamole
Chunky Garden Fresh Salsa With Fresh Tomatoes
- Medium-size mixing bowl
- 6 ripe medium size tomatoes or several small
- 1 ½ tsp minced garlic
- 1 jalapeno pepper
- 1 mild heat pepper corbaci for example
- 1 green bell pepper
- ½ medium red onion
- 3 tbsp fresh cilantro or 2 tbsp dried cilantro
- ¾ tsp salt
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- Remove seeds from bell pepper, jalapeno pepper,and corbaci pepper and dice.
- Finely chop red onion.
- Dice tomatoes.
- In a medium size bowl mix peppers, onion, tomatoes, cilantro, garlic, salt, cumin, and juices.
- Allow salsa to mellow at room temperature before serving. Serve with tortilla chips.