4th of July M&M cookie bars are the ultimate red, white, and blue dessert recipe. A homemade cookie bar that is stuffed with patriotic M&Ms and sprinkles and then drizzled with a white chocolate.
These m&m cookie bars are wonderful for the summer holidays when you want to entertain guests. A simple cookie batter that will make your home smell heavenly.
Now, if you want a few more patriotic recipes to consider, I got some good ones. This patriotic fudge uses popping candy on top so it gives a nice popping texture as you eat. Or consider these gorgeous patriotic sugar cookies!
Table of Contents
What are 4th of July Cookie Bars?
These cookie bars are a simple chocolate chip cookie base that uses red, white, and blue M&Ms along with sprinkles. It makes for a sliceable dessert you can serve up to friends or family.
This 4th of July Dessert Recipe Is…
- Made from scratch! You get a homemade dessert that you can whip up and serve up in no time.
- Soft and thick cookie bars that are bursting with red, white, and blue M&M’s.
- Great to make the day before you plan to serve it up! I love a good make-ahead dessert that can help with prepping for parties.
- Bursting with patriotic colors for America. A fun treat that will lure everyone in.
- Easy to bake in the oven, so you just mix and toss right in to cook. Unlike cookies no need to cook in batches!
What’s in M&M Cookie Bars
- Flour– Make sure when you work with flour, you use a small scoop to pour into a messing cup. Then you will level it off with a flat side of the knife.
- Sugar – Brown sugar and granulated sugar are both used in this cookie batter. It helps to give the cookies the perfect sweetness with dimension in flavor.
- Eggs – Reach for room-temperature eggs. This will help with the texture of the cookie bar batter.
- Vanilla– You can use pure vanilla or vanilla extract for the bars. It helps to add a hint of sweetness and balance out the other flavors in the bar.
- Salt – When baking, salt is a must-have ingredient. The salt is going to enhance the flavors so your bars are just bursting with flavor.
- Baking Powder and Baking Soda – Both are used to help allow the bars to rise as they bake and offer the perfect fluffy and chewy texture.
- M&Ms and Sprinkles – Both will be used for creating that fun 4th of July vibe on the cookie bars.
- White Chocolate – Quality chocolate is important as you will drizzle it over the bars to add a fun look bit of decadent sweetness to the bars.
How To Make
The complete list of ingredients, quantities, and instructions can be found in the printable recipe card below.
- Add your dry ingredients into a mixing bowl and toss and set to the side. (Photo 1)
- Cream your butter and sugars in a bowl with a hand or stand mixer on medium speed for about two minutes. (Photo 2)
- Next, add the eggs and vanilla. Mix to combine. (Photo 3)
- Now you will add in the flour mixture a little at a time, making sure to get it mixed evenly. (Photo 4)
- Use a rubber spatula and fold in the sprinkles and M&M candies. ( Photo 5)
- Press the cookie dough batter into your baking dish and bake as directed. Once the cookie bar is done, remove it and let cool. (Photo 6)
- In a microwave-safe container add your white chocolate and heat as directed to get a smooth chocolate.
- Drizzle the chocolate back and forth on top of the bars and add additional sprinkles if you wish. Then cut and serve. (Photo 7)
- You can use any color of M&M’s for these cookie bars. I did patriotic for the 4th of July but this can be made all year round.
- The sprinkles are optional but they do add a fun pop of color.
- Feel free to use different colors of candy melts for drizzling on top. Red and blue would be really pretty as well.
- Make sure to not overbake the cookies or they will dry out. Use a toothpick and when it comes out clean of wet batter you know the cookie bars are done.
- Add some white chocolate chips to the cookie dough batter for added sweetness.
- If you want you can add in some chopped Oreo cookies, candy bar pieces, etc. Feel free to mix and match mix-in ingredients.
- Like cookies these are best eaten fresh or within a day of making so don’t wait too many days to serve them up.
- For added color you can place some M&M candies on top of the cookie bars in the pan as it will help add more color to the top of the bars.
These m&m cookie bars can be stored at room temperature in a sealed container. Just make sure the cookie bars are fully cooled before you place a lid on them. Then store for up to 3-4 days. The cookies will dry out a bit with each day.
If you are interested in freezing your cookie bars, you are welcome to place them in a freezer container or freezer bag. Freeze for up to 3-5 months easily.
Then thaw on the counter for a few hours and then enjoy.
Consider whipping up a batch of no-churn vanilla ice cream and pair it on the side for a decadent cookie bar a la mode!
Go right ahead and experiment with any type of M&M. They have so many flavors these days you are more than welcome to use caramel, peanut M&Ms, peanut butter, etc. Feel free to pick and choose whatever sounds good.
Using a different-sized baking pan will affect cook time and the thickness and texture of the bars. I do recommend using the same size pan the recipe calls for to ensure they bake evenly and are a thick and chewy bar.
If you are looking to double the recipe I recommend making it in two different pans. That way, the thickness is not affected. Or if you have a larger pan that is able to hold a double batch go ahead.
Need more patriotic recipes? Try these:
Did you make this recipe? Or any other delicious recipes on my site? If so, please leave a ★★★★★ star rating and drop a 📝 comment below! Ensure you’re not missing a thing; you can subscribe to my newsletter and follow along with me on Pinterest, Facebook, and Twitter! for the latest updates, recipes, and content.
4th of July M&M Cookie Bars
- 1 cup 2 sticks unsalted butter, softened at room temperature
- 1 cup brown sugar
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs room temperature
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup red white, and blue M&M’s
- ⅓ cup red white, and blue sprinkles
- ½ cup Ghirardelli vanilla melting wafers
- Preheat your oven to 350 °F degrees, and prep your 9×13 baking dish with parchment paper. Set it aside.
- In a bowl you will add your dry ingredients: flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Mix well and set to the side.
- Next in a mixing bowl add your butter and both sugars. Cream with a hand mixer or stand mixer for around 2 minutes. You want to create a light fluffy texture.
- Then you will add in the eggs and vanilla. Mix to combine.
- Add in the dry mixture, mixing just enough to incorporate.
- Then with a spatula fold in the sprinkls and M&M's. Then pour the cookie batter into the pan and press into an even layer.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until the bars are fully cooked. Stick a toothpick in the center and if it comes out clean of wet batter, the cookies are done.
- Allow them to cool a bit.
- Then melt your chocolate as directed on the package. Place in a piping bag and drizzle the melted chocolate all over the cookie bars. Add extra sprinkles if you would like.
- Slice and serve.