This Berry Layer Cake is delicious, fluffy, and so easy to make! Stacked with plenty of fresh summer fruit and fluffy whipped cream, you’re going to adore this simple, flavorful cake.
Honestly, this is the perfect cake for summer! No one wants to spend hours baking when it’s beautiful outside….but this cake uses boxed cake mix (shhh!) for a shortcut. You can use premade whipped topping, too—it’s quick, easy, and the perfect summer afternoon treat.
Fresh summer berries are so delicious and sweet, which makes them the perfect complement to this berry layer cake.
You’re going to love how easy and quick it is to put together—it’s perfect for an afternoon snack or last-minute dinner with friends.
How To Make This Delicious Berry Layer Cake
Making this delicious berry layer cake is so easy and simple. You don’t need to be a professional baker to end up with a tasty, beautiful cake this summer. This recipe is so simple, and it would be perfect to make with your children!
Before you begin, set aside a few strawberries, blackberries, and blueberries. We’ll be using those to decorate at the end!
You’ll start by baking your cake layers. The recipe calls for a boxed strawberry cake mix, but you could always use red velvet or another flavor if you prefer. A cake mix doesn’t mean you’re cheating….it’s quick and easy and still tastes amazing!
Once the cake is baked and cooled, place one layer onto a serving tray.
Then, it’s time to spread strawberry jam across that layer. Take half of the fresh berries and arrange them over the layer of jam. Spread the whipped cream across the top of the berries and jam layer!
Next, add the second cake layer and repeat the process of adding jam, fruit, and the whipped topping. Garnish with the rest of the fresh berries!
Tips for Assembling Your Berry Layer Cake
If you want, you can bake your cake layers ahead of time. Just wrap the cooled layers tightly with plastic wrap and chill in the fridge until you’re ready to use! Chilled cake layers are actually often easier to assemble.
You can just use store-bought whipped topping for the quickest process. Or, whip up your own fresh whipped cream using heavy whipping cream and a bit of sugar.
When you’re going to assemble the berry layer cake, consider leveling each layer with a serrated knife. This helps keep your cake stable and makes it easier to stack the layers.
How to Store Your Berry Layer Cake
You can store this berry layer cake in the fridge for up to two days before you serve it. This cake keeps really well in the fridge and is deliciously served cool!
This berry layer cake is the perfect quick and easy summer dessert. There’s nothing better than fresh fruit in the summer, and this cake helps you use fresh strawberries, blueberries, and blackberries!
It’s a simple recipe that anyone can make, and you’re going to adore the fluffy texture, layers of flavor, and easy process.
Everyone will love this berry layer cake and how simple it is to bake and assemble! Plus, you can customize it based on what you like.
Craving more desserts
- Easy Blueberry Dump Cake Recipe
- Gluten-Free Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Homemade Funfetti Sheet Cake
- See all our yummy dessert recipes!
Light and Fresh Triple Berry Layer Cake
- 1 red velvet or strawberry cake mix
- 1 cup strawberry jam or preserves
- 1 cup strawberries fresh and halved
- 1 cup blackberries fresh
- 1 cup blueberries fresh
- 1 whipped topping 8 oz container
- * Set aside 3-4 fresh berries from each kind
- Using two or more round cake pans, bake the cake according to package directions.
- Once cooled, place one cake layer on a serving plate. Spread half of the strawberry jam over the top.
- Arrange half of the fresh berries on the jam and cover with half of the whipped topping.
- Carefully add the second cake layer on top of the first layer and repeat the process with the remaining jam, fruit and whipped topping.
- Garnish with reserved berries.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve