Baked Swiss chicken is an easy dinner recipe that is a cream of chicken soup, stuffing mix, Swiss cheese, and boneless chicken come together to create this Swiss chicken recipe. Bake to perfection in your casserole dish and serve a hearty and comforting dinner for busy nights this week. Give this delicious dinner recipe a try, and let the whole family fall in love with this Swiss chicken bake.
You might know this dish by a lot of different names. No matter what you call this boneless skinless chicken breasts recipe, it is a comfort dish that is an instant family favorite. Plus this Swiss chicken casserole recipe is budget friendly so it is great for when you don’t have a ton of money to spend on groceries.
Try this taco crescent roll bake, green chile enchilada bake, or this easy chili cheese dog bake.
Ingredients for Swiss Chicken
The complete list of ingredients, quantities, and instructions can be found in the printable recipe card below.
- Chicken – You will want to use boneless skinless chicken for this baked chicken recipe.
- Cheese – Swiss cheese that is shredded is what you will want. You could use the deli sliced Swiss cheese as well.
- Stovetop Stuffing – A classic flavored stuffing works for this nicely. Feel free to do a different flavor of stuffing if you would prefer.
- Cream of Chicken Soup – This condensed soup is going to help give your casserole that creamy texture.
- Water or Milk – You can use water or milk for this. If you use milk, it will, of course, richen the casserole.
How To Make Swiss Chicken
You can jump to the recipe card for full ingredients and instructions.
Step One: Preheat the oven as directed and prep your 9×13 casserole dish. Set to the side.
Step Two: Place your raw chicken on the bottom of the casserole dish in an even layer.
Step Three: Top the chicken with Swiss cheese. Then you will add the dry stuffing mixture all over the casserole.
Step Four: In a small bowl, you will add the cream soup with the water or milk. Mix well and then pour the mixture over the casserole, spreading it out evenly.
Step Five: Cover the casserole and bake as directed. Then remove the foil and finish cooking until the chicken is fully cooked.
If you do not eat all the casserole, simply store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to three days. Then reheat the leftovers in the microwave or warm it up in the oven. If you reheat in the oven, cover in aluminum foil to prevent the chicken from drying.
Variations and Tips For Success
- You can add green beans that are drained on the side of the casserole dish, to cook some veggies to go along with the casserole.
- Make sure to grease your baking dish or it can cause the chicken to stick.
- This is a creamy sauce, you could also swap chicken broth instead of water to richen the flavor.
- Make sure to place chicken in the bottom without overlapping if possible. That ensures all the piece of chicken bake evenly.
- Season the chicken if you want before you cook. Pat chicken dry and then season with salt, pepper, and even garlic powder if you would like.
- Change up the Swiss cheese chicken and use a different type of flavor. You can use Monterey Jack, pepper jack etc.
The chicken is done when you check the internal temperature, and the meat thermometer reads 165 degrees F. Now make sure to check the thickest part of the chicken for an accurate read.
Stuffing on top of the chicken casserole will be slightly soft. If some pieces are sticking up they can become crunchy as it is baked. I find the stuffing tastes delicious with the chicken.
What to serve with Baked Swiss Cheese Chicken
Serve with a side of your favorite roasted or steamed vegetables, homemade dinner rolls, salad, or any other side.
Need more weekly dinner recipes? Try these:
- Maple Balsamic Pork Chops
- Feta stuffed Pork Tenderloin
- Baked Rolled Tacos
- See all our dinner ideas featured here.
Have you tried this Baked Swiss Chicken or any other recipe on my site? If so, please leave a star ★★★★★ rating and drop a comment below! Ensure you’re not missing a thing; you can also follow along with me on Pinterest, Facebook, and Twitter, For more incredible recipes!
Printable Recipe Card
Oven Baked Swiss Chicken
- 1 ½ lbs chicken breasts or tenders
- 1-2 cups Shredded Swiss Cheese as desired
- 1 box Stovetop Stuffing unprepared
- 1 can Cream of Chicken Soup
- 1 cup Water or Milk
- Preheat oven to 350 °F
- Grease 8"x12" casserole dish.
- Place your chicken breasts or tenders along the bottom of the casserole dish.
- Sprinkle with shredded Swiss cheese.
- Distribute the Stovetop Stuffing over the Swiss cheese.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the cream of chicken soup and water. Pour the mixture over the entire casserole – covering the stuffing completely.
- Cover the casserole dish with tin foil and bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove the tinfoil and check the internal temperature of the chicken with an inserted meat thermometer. If it hasn't reached 165 °F, return the casserole dish to the oven and continue cooking for up to 10 more minutes or until chicken reaches temp.
Leave a Reply