Serve up this homemade chicken pesto sandwich for an easy lunch or a light dinner. Thinly sliced seasoned chicken breast that is seared to golden perfection. Then assemble on a Ciabatta rolls, pesto, mayonnaise, fresh mozzarella cheese, and tomato. The ultimate pesto chicken sandwich.
Now you can use a homemade pesto to elevate the flavor, or buy your favorite at your local grocery store. Either way the pesto sauce is truly the star of this chicken cutlets sandwich. You can use a panini press or use a skillet on medium heat on the stove to warm up the fresh bread.
Table of Contents
Why People Rave About This Sandwich Recipe
- Made with fresh chicken, so these chicken pesto sandwiches are hard to beat.
- A delicious sandwich you can throw together the next time you want a quick lunch.
- Great for those busy weeknights when you need to throw something together.
- Fresh tomato slice, lettuce or fresh arugula, mozzarella, just add such crisp flavors to the sandwich.
- You can use your favorite bread like ciabatta bread, focaccia bread, or another type of roll.
- Perfect sandwich that is warm and light.
The complete list of ingredients, quantities, and instructions can be found in the printable recipe card below.
Chicken – You will want to use boneless skinless chicken breasts. You will slice them thin so they cook up quickly and won’t be hard to bite through.
Pesto – You can use a basil pesto, pine nut pesto, etc. Any pesto you enjoy can be used with this recipe.
Oil – You will need a little olive oil to sear the chicken to a golden crispy texture.
Seasonings – Italian seasoning and salt and pepper were used.
Mayonnaise – The mayo adds an extra layer of creaminess to the sandwich.
Mozzarella Cheese – You will want to use slices of mozzarella cheese for this. If you don’t have slices you could substitute shredded cheese.
Veggies – Sliced tomatoes and Romaine lettuce are what I used. But you can change up the type of greens you use.
What to serve with this chicken sandwich
From a classic side of chips to French fries, or even a pasta salad. You can have endless options for you to enjoy this easy pesto and chicken sandwich. Or you can pair with some slice red peppers, baby carrots, and celery sticks for a healthy side.
How To Make Pesto Chicken Sandwich
- Slice your chicken in half, lengthwise, to make chicken cutlets. Then season the chicken evenly on both sides.
- In a large skillet, heat with oil and then cook chicken until it is cooked all the way through.
- Remove the chicken, and then start working on the sandwich.
- Slice your roll and add mayo, pesto, and chicken.
- Then add on cheese, tomato slices, and lettuce. Then top with bun.
- Brush with oil, and cook the sandwich in a panini press or in a skillet for 2-3 minutes on each side to melt the mozzarella cheese.
How to Store
If you do not eat all your pesto chicken sandwiches, you can store them in the fridge. If possible, keep them unassembled to prevent the bread from becoming soggy. I like to only make the sandwiches right before eating.
Place the chicken in an airtight container. If you have whole sandwiches, then wrap with plastic wrap and then place in container and refrigerate for 1-2 days.
- Swap the mozzarella with provolone cheese or parmesan cheese.
- You can cook the chicken in an indoor electric grill like a George Foreman or air fryer.
- Use Italian bread or sourdough bread in replace of Ciabatta.
- Add roasted red bell pepper to the sandwich.
- Add some sauteed portobello mushrooms to place on the sandwich.
- Drizzle with a little lemon juice or lemon zest for a citrus twist.
Pesto is great for being versatile. You can pair with fresh vegetables, bread, etc. For this recipe I paired with chicken, veggies, etc.
You can make your sandwich ahead of time, but I recommend keeping the chicken in a separate container in an airtight container in the fridge. Same with vegetables and cheese being sliced and ready. Then right before you eat assemble with all the ingredients then toast and enjoy.
Need more chicken recipes? Try these:
Did you make this recipe? Or any other delicious recipes on my site? If so, please leave a ★★★★★ star rating and drop a 📝 comment below! Ensure you’re not missing a thing; you can subscribe to my newsletter and follow along with me on Pinterest, Facebook, and Twitter! for the latest updates, recipes, and content.
Chicken Pesto Sandwich
- Slice chicken breasts in half lengthwise to create 2 chicken cutlets. Season both sides of chicken with Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper.
- In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil over medium-high heat. Cook chicken on both sides for about 5 minutes, or until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees.
- Remove chicken from the pan.
- Assemble the sandwiches by slicing the ciabatta rolls in halves. Spread about 1 tablespoon of mayonnaise on one half of each roll. Spread about 1¼ tablespoons of pesto on the other half of each roll, then add a chicken cutlet to each sandwich.
- Add 1 slice of mozzarella to each sandwich, followed by a tomato slice and romaine if desired.
- Top the sandwich with the ciabatta roll with pesto. Lightly brush olive oil on top roll, then return sandwiches to the skillet. Cook each sandwich for 2 minutes per side, or until the mozzarella has fully melted.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!