It’s almost time for Christmas! Greet your family and friends up with these homemade peppermint bark muddy buddies. I’ve got a foolproof recipe for muddy buddies that kids and adults alike will love.
Who doesn’t love a good muddy buddy recipe? I know I do! The holidays are coming up, and you know what that means: time to start baking! Or not! With so much on our plates during the holiday, season baking isn’t always at the top of the list. That being said – you don’t have to miss out on all the great flavors that December brings!
Take this peppermint bark muddy buddies recipe for example – They’re the perfect sweet and salty snack and the peppermint and chocolate screams Christmas. This recipe is one of my favorites- it’s fast, easy, and delicious! All you need is three ingredients: Chex mix, peppermint bark, and powdered sugar. The best part about this recipe? It’s so easy to make with just one bowl and a spoon! After following these steps, your house will be smelling like Christmas in no time at all.
What Is Puppy Chow For Humans? Where Did It Come From?
Puppy Chow is also known as monkey munch, muddy buddies, muddy munch, or reindeer chow, is Chex mix cereal coated in some type of sweets like chocolate or peanut butter. According to General Mills, the owner of the Chex cereal brand, puppy chow originated in the Midwest and people there named it because of its resemblance to dog kibble.
While it may look like dry dog food it sure does NOT taste like it. In fact, because of the popularity of this holiday treat, Chex cereal has manufactured several types of ready-made puppy chow. They also have spent quite a bit of time developing recipes for muddy buddies or puppy chow, which they print on the back of their cereal boxes.
Equipment for Peppermint Bark Muddy Buddies
To make this muddy buddies recipe you’ll need to use a large bowl and spoon. If you do not have a microwave you can use the double boiler method to melt your chocolate!
Full directions and measurements for this dish are in the printable recipe card below. These step by step photos and instructions are here to help you visualize how to make this recipe.
Ingredients for Homemade Peppermint Bark Muddy Buddies
- Chex cereal
- Peppermint Bark
- Powdered Icing Sugar
How To Make Homemade Peppermint Bark Muddy Buddies
- Place powdered icing sugar in a gallon-sized ziptop bag and set aside.
- Measure Chex cereal into a large mixing bowl. Set aside.
- Place peppermint bark in a small microwave-safe bowl and melt for 25 seconds. Stir and reheat as needed.
- Pour the melted peppermint bark over the Chex cereal and stir to coat.
- Scoop the Chex cereal into the bag with the powdered icing sugar, then seal and shake to coat the cereal completely with the powdered icing sugar.
- Pour the powdered sugar-coated cereal onto a cookie sheet and allow the chocolate coating to set completely, approximately 30 minutes, before storing or serving.
Peppermint Bark Muddy Buddies (Chex Mix Puppy Chow) Storage
Store your peppermint bark muddy buddies in an airtight container at room temperature. They will last at room temp for up to a week. For longer shelf life, you can freeze them for up to three months.
Peppermint Chex mix puppy chow can be made more fun exciting by adding fun and exciting additions to its bowl. You can add Christmas M&Ms, chocolate chips, pretzels, or almonds. They can also make great giveaways to your family and friends who are visiting over. Put these in decorative boxes or jars and surely your loved ones will feel your holiday love with these awesome treats.
Other Puppy Chow Variations
Puppy chows or muddy buddies are customizable. You can create your own recipe for puppy chow. You can use chocolate, peanut butter, Nutella, and many more. The variations of puppy chow are endless. You can even use popular candies to create your own muddy buddy.
But, here are some of my personal favorites:
- Peanut butter and chocolate muddy buddies
- Halloween Puppy Chow
- Red Velvet Puppy Chow
- Cookies and Cream Muddy Buddies
- Pumpkin Pie Muddy Buddies
- Nutella Muddy Buddies
- Dark Chocolate Muddy Buddies
- Reese’s Puppy Chows
- Snickerdoodle Puppy Chow
There are plenty of puppy chow or muddy buddies recipes on the web. Choose what you like or even create your own recipe. These sweet and crunchy treats are customizable — the sky’s the limit!
Other Snack/Appetizer Recipes You May Like
- EASY DIY HOMEMADE BAKED PIZZA ROLLS (3 INGREDIENTS!)
- FLAVOR-INFUSED SEASONED BAKED TORTILLA CHIPS (CORN & FLOUR!)
- 5 INGREDIENT VIRAL TIKTOK PASTA CHIPS RECIPE
- EASY HOT PARTY DIPS: 4 DIPS IN ONE PAN!
- APPETIZER RING: PIGS IN A BLANKET RING CHILI CHEESE BAKE
- BAKED SOUTHWESTERN EGG ROLLS