Pumpkin French toast casserole is a delicious breakfast casserole made with bread, pumpkin pie spice seasoning, pumpkin puree, milk, and more. This French toast casserole is topped with a brown sugar crumble.
Pumpkin lovers will love this easy and delicious breakfast recipe. Now, the streusel topping is my favorite part in this casserole dish recipe. Plus it can be an overnight French toast casserole recipe if you want.
Make sure to check out this ham and egg breakfast casserole for a savory option to pair with your casserole.
Why this French Toast Pumpkin Recipe Is Popular
- Pumpkin custard filling
- Perfect for day-old bread
- Thanksgiving morning and Christmas morning approved
- Crumble on top of the casserole
- Family friendly
- Overnight casserole – option
- Perfect breakfast for a crowd
Equipment needed to make this French toast recipe
- Measuring Cups
- Mixing Bowl
- 9×13 Baking Dish
Ingredients for Pumpkin French Toast Casserole
- Eggs – When making French toast, eggs are a must as it is a custard base filling.
- Spices – I used cinnamon and pumpkin spice blend. It adds the perfect amount of warm spices to this dish.
- White Sugar – Add in some more sweetness with a little granulate sugar.
- Pumpkin Puree – Make sure you are using pumpkin puree and not pumpkin pie mix.
- Milk – Any type of milk works. I do find that whole milk offers a richer flavor to your casserole.
- Bread – Brioche or even Texas toast is a great option for this recipe.
- Brown Sugar – The brown sugar is going to be a part of the crumbled topping.
- Flour – Same with the flour, it is the crumble topping mixture you will sprinkle on the top.
- Butter – Real butter is recommended that is softened to room temperature.
The complete list of ingredients, quantities, and instructions can be found in the printable recipe card below.
Step One: Prepare the casserole dish and prep the oven. Set the pan to the side.
Step Two: Place your bread in the casserole dish with a staggered layer.
Step Three: In a bowl, whisk together your eggs until frothy. Then add in the vanilla, cinnamon, pumpkin spice, sugar, and puree. Whisk until fully combined. Stir in the milk.
Step Four: Pour the pumpkin mixture over the bread, cover with foil and soak in the fridge for 2 hours to overnight.
Step Five: Next, preheat the oven. While it is heating, make up the topping and sprinkle over the top of the custard mixture.
Step Six: Bake as directed. Once done, slice and serve with extra maple syrup, powdered sugar, etc.
Refrigerate – Store you leftovers in an airtight container for up to 4-5 days. Then you can eat chilled or warm it up.
Reheating – Warm up the baked French toast casserole in the microwave or cover with aluminum foil and heat up in the oven. Make sure it is covered in foil to prevent the bread from becoming dry bread.
Freezing – You can freeze leftovers by placing the leftovers in an airtight container. Then place in the fridge and allow the casserole to thaw first. Then reheat and drizzle on warm maple syrup or powdered sugar.
Additions and Variations
- You can use a variety of bread. Brioche bread, Challah bread, French bread, or any other sturdy type of bread. Now you will fin that fresh bread is too soft and can become a bit too mushy. Stale bread is best.
- Add in 1/4 cup room temperature cream cheese to the custard mixture to give it a creamier texture.
- Leave off the topping if you want. Top with shelled pumpkin seeds for a nice crunch factor.
- Use egg whites in replace of whole eggs.
- You could make a cinnamon streusel with brown sugar pecan topping with cinnamon and oats. This will elevate flavors.
Your French toast can become soggy if the bread is too soft or too thinly cut. It is best to use day old thicker style of bread. You can also allow bread to sit out on the counter for 24 hours to dry out a bit so it soaks in the custard.
The longest you want to store your casserole before cooking in the fridge is 24 hours. Anything over that will break down the bread too much.
Need more breakfast recipes? Try these:
Have you tried this Pumpkin French Toast Casserole or any other recipe on my site? If so, please leave a star ★★★★★ rating and drop a comment below! Ensure you’re not missing a thing; you can also follow along with me on Pinterest, Facebook, and Twitter, For more incredible recipes!
Pumpkin French Toast Casserole Recipe
- Prepare a casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Place the bread in the prepared casserole dish in a staggered layer.
- Beat the eggs until frothy. Stir in the vanilla, cinnamon, pumpkin spice, sugar, and pumpkin puree until well blended. Add the milk, stirring until completely incorporated.
- Pour the pumpkin mixture over the bread.
- Cover the casseroles and allow to soak in the refrigerator for at least two hours or overnight.
- When ready to bake, preheat the oven to 350 degrees and place the casserole on the counter as the oven heats.
- In a medium bowl, stir together the brown sugar, cinnamon, and all purpose flour. Cut in the butter until the mixture is the consistency of coarse sand. Sprinkle over the casserole.
- Bake the french toast casserole for 30 to 40 minutes or until golden brown.
- Swerve with maple syrup or powdered sugar.