The perfect side dish for summertime barbecues or football parties, these savory cheesy bacon potatoes are a welcome change from the traditional baked beans or macaroni salad. Plus, with just a few ingredients and minimal prep time, they’re simple to make.
If you looking for an easy potato recipe then this is the best! You can never go wrong with thinly sliced potatoes, cheese, and bacon. It’s a cheesy side dish that the entire family will enjoy.
Table of Contents
Why you should make this Potatoes with Cheese and Bacon recipe
- Full of cheesy flavor – The best part of these potatoes is the cheese. It’s creamy, salty, and goes perfectly with the bacon.
- Quick and easy – This recipe only takes a few minutes to prep, and then it bakes in the oven until you have soft and cheesy potatoes.
- Perfect for parties – These potatoes are perfect for summertime barbecues or football parties. They’re hearty enough to serve as a side dish, but they’re also delicious enough to eat as a meal.
- Bacon makes everything better – The addition of crispy bacon only makes these potatoes more delicious.
If you love recipes like this, you may also enjoy this Crockpot Hashbrown Casserole recipe.
- russet potatoes, sliced thin
- butter, melted
- salt & pepper
- cheddar cheese
- sour cream
- green onions
How to Make Cheesy Bacon Potatoes
The complete list of ingredients, quantities, and instructions can be found in the printable recipe card below.
Preheat oven and prepare a baking sheet with nonstick spray
Slice potatoes and arrange them single layer on a baking sheet
Brush with melted butter
Sprinkle with salt & pepper to taste
Bake about 30 minutes until potatoes are tender
Top with cheese and bacon and bake 5-10 more minutes
Garnish with sour cream and green onion
Serve and enjoy!
Store leftover sliced potatoes with cheese and bacon in the fridge for up to three days.
I don’t recommend freezing this dish as the potatoes can change their texture in the freezer.
- Be sure to slice your potatoes as evenly as possible so that they all cook at the same time.
- You can use a mandolin slicer for even slices, or a sharp knife if you’re careful.
- When layering the potatoes in your baking dish try to get them in a single layer or as close to a single layer as possible.
Substitutions and Variations
If you don’t have bacon on hand, feel free to leave it out of this recipe or substitute it with another type of meat. Ham, sausage, or crumbled-up turkey bacon would all be great substitutes.
Sliced Jalapenos can give this cheese and bacon potato bake a spicy kick.
If you’re looking for a vegetarian version of this recipe, you can omit the bacon and cheese and just top the potatoes with a sprinkle of olive oil and spices like rosemary and parsley.
Add ranch seasoning mix to your potato slices for a ranch potato bake.
Cheesy Bacon Potatoes FAQs
Yes, you can make these potatoes ahead of time. Just follow the instructions all the way up until you’re ready to bake them. Then cover the dish with plastic wrap and store it in the fridge for up to a couple of hours before you bake it.
If you want to reheat these potatoes in the oven, preheat them to 350 degrees and bake them for 10 – 15 minutes. Or microwave them for 1 -2 minutes on a microwave-safe plate.
Parmesan cheese, diced peppers, salsa, pico de Gallo, or even chili would be a great topping for these cheesy potatoes.
More Potato Recipes To Love
- Air Fryer Garlic Parmesan Fries
- Cheesy Crash Hot Potatoes
- Crispy Greek Style Potatoes
- Mashed Sweet Potatoes with Thyme
Did you make this recipe? Or any other delicious recipes on my site? If so, please leave a ★★★★★ star rating and drop a 📝 comment below! Ensure you’re not missing a thing; you can subscribe to my newsletter and follow along with me on Pinterest, Facebook, and Twitter! for the latest updates, recipes, and content.
Cheesy Bacon Potatoes
- 4-5 russet potatoes sliced thin
- ½ stick butter melted
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 2 cups Cheddar cheese
- ¼ cup sour cream
- ¼ cup bacon cooked and chopped
- green onions sliced
- Preheat oven and prepare baking sheet with nonstick spray
- Slice potatoes and arrange them single layer on baking sheet
- Brush with melted butter
- Sprinkle with salt & pepper to taste
- Bake about 30 minutes until potatoes are tender
- Top with cheese and bacon and bake 5-10 more minutes
- Garnish with sour cream and green onion
- Serve and enjoy!