Consider trying to make these bacon cheddar scones a try. They are a buttery, flaky, savory scone with bacon and cheddar speckled throughout. This is a homemade scone recipe that you can make with simple ingredients.
These cheddar scones are wonderful to make for brunch, serve up at breakfast, or pair with soup or chowder. Whip up a batch this week and try them out.
Table of Contents
This Bacon Cheddar Scones Recipe Is…
- Made with basic ingredients
- Fresh Ingredients
- Savory Scone
- Buttery and Soft
Ingredients You Will Need
Here is a list of the ingredients you will need to make these homemade scones. These are loaded with cheddar cheese, bacon, green onions, and more.
- Baking Powder
- Green Onions
- Heavy Cream
How To Make
The complete list of ingredients, quantities, and instructions can be found in the printable recipe card below.
Step One: Preheat the oven. Then add the dry ingredients into a bowl. (Photo 1)
Step Two: Add in your butter, and work with a pastry cutter or fork, to create coarse sand. (Photo 2)
Step Three: Now you will add in 3/4 cup of the cheese, part of bacon, and part of green onions. Reserve some back for garnishment. (Photo 3)
Step Four: Now you will add the heavy cream and egg. Begin to work the dough to create a cohesive texture. (Photos 4 & 5)
Step Five: Once your dough is formed. Shape out the dough into a circle, at 1″ to 1 1/2″ thick.
Step Six: Cut the dough into 8 equal portions with a pizza cutter. (Photo 6)
Step Seven: Place scone on baking sheet, and then brush with extra heavy whipping cream, then garnish with cheese, bacon, and onions. (Photo 7)
Bake as directed, then serve. (Photo 8)
Helpful Tips For Success
Make sure that you are measuring the ingredients properly. Make sure to scoop the flour into the measuring cup and use a knife to level it off.
Use cold butter that is either grated or diced in cubes. The most important part is working the butter into the flour mixture.
You can garnish with extra cheese, bacon, and green onions. It will give a gorgeous look, but it is optional.
Don’t overbake the scones. Make sure to check on the scones, as if the scones cook too long they will be dry.
Because these cheddar scones do have cheese and bacon, I recommend refrigerating the scones. Place in a sealed container or bag. Then when you want to eat one let it warm up to room temperature, or warm it up in the microwave or oven.
Another thing is you can freeze scones for 2-3 months. Just freeze in a proper container or bag. Then thaw in the fridge and then reheat.
Scones are made with heavy cream and eggs, whereas biscuits are made with no egg and either milk or buttermilk depending on the recipe. They are similar but the flavor and texture are different.
If you over knead the dough, you will find the scones can become over-dry. The other thing is not measuring the ingredients properly it will give you a dry or crumbly texture.
Yes, you will find that eggs are used in the scones. You will find that whether it is sweet or savory, your scones do tend to have eggs used.
More Great Recipes You’ll Love
Did you make this recipe? Or any other delicious recipes on my site? If so, please leave a ★★★★★ star rating and drop a 📝 comment below! Ensure you’re not missing a thing; you can subscribe to my newsletter and follow along with me on Pinterest, Facebook, and X (Twitter)! for the latest updates, recipes, and content.
Bacon Cheddar Scones
- 2 cups (250 g) Flour All-Purpose
- 1 Tablespoon (1 Tablespoon) Baking Powder
- 2 teaspoons (2 teaspoons) White Sugar
- ½ teaspoon (½ teaspoon) Salt
- ¼ cup (56 ¾ g) Butter cold and cut into pieces
- 1 cup (113 g) Cheddar Cheese Grated
- 3 slices (3 slices) Bacon chopped
- 2 (2) Green Onions green parts sliced
- 1 (1) Egg
- ¾ cup (178 ½ g) Heavy Whipping Cream 35%, plus 2 Tablespoons
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, white sugar and salt.
- Place butter in the dry mixture and use a large fork or pastry cutter to combine with the dry mixture until it resembles coarse sand.
- Add 3/4 cup of the cheese, most of the bacon and most of the green onions, reserving some for garnish. Stir well to mix.
- Add egg and 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream and stir together to form a cohesive dough.
- Place the dough on a floured work surface and shape into a large circle, about 1″ to 1 1/2″ thick.
- Cut the circle into 8 equal portions using a pizza slicer.
- Place the scones on a cookie sheet lined with a silicone baking mat or parchment paper.
- Brush the tops of each scone with heavy whipping cream and garnish with cheese, bacon and onions.
- Bake for 18-22 minutes, until lightly golden.