Herbs de Provence is a spice blend, filled with thyme, savory, marjoram, rosemary, and more. You can use this Herbs Provence on a variety of meats, vegetables, mix in soups, stews, and more. The ultimate spice blend that is bursting with rich flavor.
This seasoning blend is often used in Provence of south-eastern France. Now, if you want to step out of the box, try this blend of herbs and see for yourself the incredible blend of herbs.
If you love making your own homemade seasonings and pantry staples, let me share a few more ideas for you to give a go. This spaghetti seasoning is one of my favorites or even this Cuban spice blend. Or learn how to make this dry ranch seasoning mix.
Table of Contents
What is Herbs de Provence?
Herbs de Provence is a mix of dried herbs that came from the Provence area in southeastern France. This blend is very aromatic and bursting with vibrant flavors.
You will find that this spice blend can be used on chicken, fish, pork, stews, soups, and more. A very versatile blend of spices that you can use to enhance the flavor of your dishes.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe!
Versatile In How You Can Use – You can use this seasoning blend on all types of food. From meats to veggies to mixing in casseroles or soups. If you are planning a French or Mediterranean cuisine.
Stores Well – You can store the herb blend in a sealed container in the pantry or spice cupboard. This will store for up to 6 months to a year.
Gifts Well – Now, if you know someone who cooks, consider making up this spice blend as a gift for a loved one or friends.
What’s in this Herbs de Provence
- Dried Thyme
- Summer Savory
- Dried Rosemary
- Dried Oregano
- Anise Seed
How To Make
The complete list of ingredients, quantities, and instructions can be found in the printable recipe card below.
- Add all the ingredients in a bowl. (Photo 1)
- Mix well to combine. Then use right away or store for up to 6 months. (Photos 2 & 3)
- As you see in the list above, there are a lot of additional herbs you can add into the mix. Feel free to pick and cheese what you would like.
- Use all dried herbs for this recipe, and make sure they are fresh.
- The herbs will separate, so make sure to mix it up by shaking between each use to ensure it is incorporated.
- Store in a dry and dark place in a pantry or cupboard for best quality.
- Quality spices are key for optimal flavor.
- Lavender is very strong, so use a light hand on adding it into the mix.
You will store this herb blend in a sealed jar or container for up to 6 months. Now you can store in the pantry, cupboard, or on the counter. The biggest thing is making sure it is sealed tight so no moisture gets into the jar.
Then you will shake or stir before you measure and use on your recipes.
What to use this spice blend
Here are a few different ways you can use this spice blend to flavor your dishes. Consider adding some of this spice blend to this honey mustard chicken. Or you can add the herbs on top of roasted broccoli, asparagus, or other vegetables.
Now you can also use in this zucchini galette instead of the spices it calls for. It will pair well with the flavors of the zucchini and sausage.
Go right ahead and replace seasonings with this herb blend. If you use it as a single herb, you might find it is overpowering in flavor this way. So I would use it and then add just a few herbs or use it alone.
The lavender in this recipe is one that is needed to be used with caution. You will not want to eat in large quantities. But also, some might have allergens to this herb. So feel free to omit it from the recipe.
Fresh herbs can be used, but you will only want to use at that time. It will not be able to be stored in a container at room temperature. Just know fresh herbs offer different amounts of flavor, so adjust as you would like.
Need more pantry recipes? Try these:
Did you make this recipe? Or any other delicious recipes on my site? If so, please leave a ★★★★★ star rating and drop a 📝 comment below! Ensure you’re not missing a thing; you can subscribe to my newsletter and follow along with me on Pinterest, Facebook, and X (Twitter)! for the latest updates, recipes, and content.
Herbs de Provence
- 3 Tablespoons (3 Tablespoons) Dried Thyme
- 2 Tablespoons (2 Tablespoons) Summer Savory
- 2 Tablespoons (2 Tablespoons) Marjoram
- 2 Tablespoons (2 Tablespoons) Dried Rosemary
- 1 Tablespoon (1 Tablespoon) Dried Oregano
- 1 Tablespoon (1 Tablespoon) Dried Dill
- ½ Tablespoon (½ Tablespoon) Dried Lavender
- 1 Tablespoon (1 Tablespoon) Tarragon estragon
- 1 Tablespoon (1 Tablespoon) Dried Parsley
- 1 Tablespoon (1 Tablespoon) Dried Sage
- 1 Tablespoon (1 Tablespoon) Dried Fennel
- 1 Tablespoon (1 Tablespoon) Dried Basil
- 1 Tablespoon (1 Tablespoon) Chervil
- 1 Tablespoon (1 Tablespoon) Dried Mint
- 1 Tablespoon (1 Tablespoon) Anise Seed
- Add all the herbs in a small bowl.
- Mix well and then use immedietely or store in a sealed container in the pantry or cupboard for up to 6 months.
- Ways to Use: You can use a little or a lot to season any dish you want. From proteins, pasta, vegetables, and more.
- Extra Herbs: Go right ahead and add all or some of the optional herbs listed above. You can create your own custom herb blend that you enjoy.
- Lavender: Be cautious of lavender as it is potent. Use light-handed. But also some can be allergic so use it with caution.
- Stores – Store the herb blend in a sealed container or bag and store it in the cupboard or counter at room temperature for up to 6 months.