Homemade taco seasoning mix is easy to make, and it tastes so much better than store-bought mixes. Some people think that making homemade taco seasoning mix is too much work, but really, it’s not! You can whip up a batch in just minutes with the help of these simple instructions.
When you make your own taco seasoning mix, you’re not only cutting down on sodium and preservatives but also adding lots of flavors. And if you enjoy cooking as much as I do, then making your own mix is actually fun!
Table of Contents
Why you should make this Taco Seasoning
Money-Saving – Store-bought taco seasoning mix can be expensive, but when you make your own, you’ll get a large batch for just a fraction of the price.
More Flavor – With all of those fresh spices, your tacos will taste fantastic!
Customizable – You can customize it to your liking. Like it a little hotter? Add more chili powder. Prefer a smokier flavor? Try smoked paprika.
If you love recipes like this, you may also enjoy this homemade ranch seasoning mix recipe.
- chili powder
- ground cumin
- garlic powder
- dried oregano
- onion powder
- black pepper
- crushed red pepper flakes
How to Make Homemade Taco Seasoning Mix
The complete list of ingredients, quantities, and instructions can be found in the printable recipe card below.
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl and stir to mix well. (Photo 1)
- Store in an air-tight container. (Photo 2)
This homemade taco seasoning can be stored for up to 6 months. Be sure to store your taco seasoning in an airtight container in a cool dry place.
- Keep your homemade seasoning mixes away from moisture as that can cause them to clump.
- A small mason jar is a great container to store your homemade taco seasoning in.
- To use this taco seasoning, use two tablespoons with 1/2 cup of water.
Substitutions and Variations
- Smoked Paprika can give the taco seasoning mix a smoky flavor.
- Increase the spice level of this homemade seasoning mix by adding more chili powder.
- Do you like your tacos spicy? Double the amount of red chili pepper flakes in this taco seasoning recipe for an extra spicy kick.
- Add some cayenne pepper for a little extra heat.
- Try adding 1/4 teaspoon of ground coriander for a unique flavor twist.
- If you’re looking for a milder taco seasoning mix, omit the crushed red pepper flakes.
Taco Seasoning Recipe FAQS
This homemade taco seasoning mix will keep for up to 6 months when kept in an airtight container and stored in a cool dry place.
Homemade taco seasoning can save you money, but it tastes so much better.
Pretty much anything that you normally use store-bought taco seasoning for – tacos, burritos, fajitas, etc.
Use 1/2 cup of water to help the taco seasoning mix dissolve completely.
There are usually 2 tablespoons of taco seasoning per packet.
More Seasoning Mix Recipes You May Love
- Cuban Seasoning
- Fajita Seasoning
- Garlic Bread Seasoning
- Mediterranean Seasoning Blend
- Homemade Seasonings Blend
Did you make this recipe? Or any other delicious recipes on my site? If so, please leave a ★★★★★ star rating and drop a 📝 comment below! Ensure you’re not missing a thing; you can subscribe to my newsletter and follow along with me on Pinterest, Facebook, and X (Twitter)! for the latest updates, recipes, and content.
Taco Seasoning Mix
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl and stir to mix well.
- Store in an air-tight container.
Get 3 FREE Conversion charts + Bonus!
When you subscribe to the latest updates, recipes, and content.