In about 5 minutes you can have this fresh and authentic pico de gallo ready to dish up! Made with fresh tomatoes, diced onions, lime juice, cilantro and ramp up the flavor with fresh jalapeno. You will fall in love with this pico recipe!
Pico de gallo can be used for using tortilla chips for dipping and snacking. Or you can opt to your taco salad, beef enchiladas, or other Mexican dishes. Fresh, vibrant flavors that carry a nice kick of tanginess.
If you enjoy making homemade dips and Mexican recipes, you have to try out this homemade salsa recipe. Or enjoy this sweet and savory habanero guacamole!
Table of Contents
What is Pico De Gallo
Pico de gallo is a Mexican salsa. You will find it is chunky and made with fresh ingredients. You might also know this as a salsa fresca or even salsa cruda. No matter what you call this flavorful dip, it is magical.
Pico is made with tomatoes, jalapeno, onion, lime juice, cilantro and then seasoned with salt and pepper. Now you can tame the heat by removing the seeds of the pepper or leave them in for some spice.
This Easy Pico De Gallo Recipe Is…
- Authentic to what you would get at your favorite Mexican restaurant.
- Made with fresh ingredients for that bold and fresh flavor.
- Can be made in advance so you have time to prep your main dish. Just refrigerate until ready for serving.
- Use as a topper for your Mexican dishes, or pair with salty tortilla chips for dipping.
- A great dish for parties, Cinco De Mayo, or even a summer cookout. One of the first that disappears in a crowd.
What is in Pico De Gallo
It takes just a few ingredients to create this savory, spicy, and tangy dish.
Tomatoes – Roma tomatoes are traditionally used for making pico. Remove the seeds from the tomatoes before finely dicing. You can use other varieties but you will find the seed to flesh ratio is a lot higher.
Onion – White, red or even yellow onions work when making this chunky pico. It is going to of course alter the flavor depending on the type of onion used. I use yellow as it is a bit more mild and not as harsh as a red or white onion.
Jalapeno – Use gloves when you go to de-seed the jalapeno. Otherwise the oils can irritate sensitive skin. If you want the mixture to be spicy leave in some seeds.
Cilantro – Finely dice up your cilantro so it blends well with the other ingredients in the dish. It is going to truly enhance the flavor. Make sure it is fresh cilantro and not dried.
Lime – Lime juice is going to help balance out the acidic components and spice. Feel free to add a bit more lime if you enjoy the flavor of lime.
Salt and Pepper – Once well mixed you can flavor with salt and pepper. Also keep in mind as your pico de gallo sits in the fridge it will blend even more in terms of flavor. So don’t over-season right away unless you are serving immediately.
How To Make
The complete list of ingredients, quantities, and instructions can be found in the printable recipe card below.
- Wash and prep all the vegetables. You want to dice the tomatoes, onion, and jalapeno finely. (Photos 1,2 & 3)
- Roll up the cilantro and then finely dice it up, leaving off the stem.
- Add all ingredients into the mixing bowl. (Photo 4)
- Toss to combine, and then make sure that you mix well. (Photos 5 & 6)
- Season with salt and pepper to taste if you feel you need more flavor. Then refrigerate until you are ready to serve.
- Once ready, serve with chips, tacos, etc.
Pro Tips For Success
- Allowing the pico to sit in the fridge in a container overnight is going to provide you with an authentic flavor. As the mixture sits, the flavors will truly marinade well with each other.
- Aim for similar sized ingredients. Changing the size of the diced ingredients does alter the flavor. Bigger pieces work best for topping main dishes, whereas finely diced is better for chip dipping.
- Ensure all your ingredients are ripe and fresh. Especially the tomatoes, as it will alter the flavor. Fresh, plump, and slightly firm to a gentle squeeze.
- If you want spice leave in the seeds of jalapeno. Otherwise, remove seeds and white membrane and soak in ice water for 5-10 minutes.
- Use gloves when working with jalapenos; otherwise, it will irritate sensitive skin.
- Add a pinch of sugar if you want to enhance the sweetness of the tomatoes. This is a trick I use often. A little goes a long way in this recipe.
- Toss well right before serving to ensure all the flavors are blended.
Best Way to Store
In a plastic or glass sealed container is going to preserve the flavors of the pico de gallo the best. You can store your dip in the fridge for up to 3-4 days. You will find each day; the mixture will break down a bit more.
What to serve or eat with salsa fresca
I also love adding this on top of these taco roll ups. A great appetizer or main dish for the whole family to dive into.
Go right ahead and make this a day in advance of when you plan to dish it up. It will allow all the flavors to blend nicely together.
Plan to serve a crowd or have a larger family? If so, go right ahead and make a double batch. It will double nicely; make sure you have a large enough bowl.
You either love or hate cilantro. If you are not a fan, feel free to use it out or use less cilantro in the recipe. It will slightly alter the flavor but make it fit your taste preference.
Need more Cinco De Mayo recipes? Try these:
Did you make this recipe? Or any other delicious recipes on my site? If so, please leave a ★★★★★ star rating and drop a 📝 comment below! Ensure you’re not missing a thing; you can subscribe to my newsletter and follow along with me on Pinterest, Facebook, and Twitter! for the latest updates, recipes, and content.
Printable Recipe Card
Pico De Gallo
- 4 Medium Tomatoes
- 1 Medium Yellow Onion
- 1 Jalapeno
- 1 Cup Finely Chopped Cilantro
- 2 Tbsp Lime Juice
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Wash and prep your ingredients. For the tomatoes you will remove the seeds. Then finely dice.
- Same with the onions, finely dice and remove the outer skin. For the jalapeno you will remove white membrane and seeds for a milder flavor. Or leave some seeds if you want your pico de gallo to be spicy.
- Add all the chopped ingredients into the bowl and toss. You will roll the cilantro together and finely dice, and discard the stems.
- Add the lime juice and the salt and pepper to taste. Refrigerate until you are ready to serve up the pico de gallo. For best flavor refrigerate for 24 hours. But it can be served right after making.
- Tomatoes – Roma tomatoes tend to be very popular for this recipe. It is going to have fewer seeds.
- Jalapeno – If you do not like spice at all, you can leave out the jalapeno altogether.
- Cilantro – If you do not like cilantro, it can be left out of the recipe, just know it will alter the flavor.
- Storing – Refrigerate in a sealed container for up to 3 days. For best flavor, let the mixture refrigerate for up to 24 hours before serving.
- Texture – For a chunkier dice, you will find works best for topping Mexican dishes. Whereas a finer chop will work and taste better for serving up with chips.