Craving a refreshing drink for the hot summer months? If so this three ingredient agua de pina is a must make. You also might know this as a pineapple aqua fresca. Fresh pineapple, water, and some sugar are all it takes to make this drink.
Pineapple water is not only delicious but it is going to hydrate you and help keep you going on these hot summer days. Kids and adults will devour this pineapple drink.
Table of Contents
What is Agua De Pina?
Agua de Pina is Mexican water that is made with pineapple, filtered water, and sugar. Now you can find that some have alcohol and others are just simple flavored water.
You will find that agua de pina can be served chilled or even served frozen depending on how it is made. Plus the flavors of the drink can vary.
This Agua De Pina Is…
- Quick to make, it takes just a few minutes to blend up.
- Made with fresh pineapple.
- Uses sugar to sweeten up the fruit flavor.
- Refreshing and hydrating.
- Kid-friendly drink that is perfect for summer.
What’s in Pineapple Aqua Fresca?
- Pineapple – Reach for fresh pineapple that you cut off the rind and dice into cubes for the blender. You can slice a few wedges to garnish your glasses if you want for serving.
- Water – I do recommend using filtered water as it will provide the best flavor.
- Sugar – The sugar is going to bring out the natural flavors of the pineapple. You can use a little or more to adjust to your liking.
The complete list of ingredients, quantities, and instructions can be found in the printable recipe card below.
How To Make
- Add all the water, diced pineapple, and sugar into a high-speed blender. (Photos 1 & 2)
- Blend until the pineapple is liquified and no longer in chunks. This takes just a few minutes.
- Pour into glasses with ice and garnish with pineapple wedges if you want. (Photo 3)
Tips from our Recipe Developer
- Canned pineapple or frozen pineapple (thaw it) can work instead of fresh. If you use can use the juice as well for added sweetness.
- Fresh pineapple will offer the best flavor.
- Make sure you use a high-powered blender or you will find that it might not blend up as it should.
- You can use a little sugar or add the full 1/4 cup. It is up to you how sweet you want your water.
- Feel free to swap the granulated sugar with honey, agave, or a sugar substitute.
- This pineapple water is best made fresh and served right after mixing up.
- Serve plain or add to a glass of ice. I find the ice really helps create more flavor.
If you have extra pineapple agua on hand, store in a sealed container in the fridge for 2-3 days. Give it a good stir before you go and pour it into a glass. The mixture will separate as it sits in the fridge.
What to Serve with Agua de Pina
Consider serving a pineapple salsa on the side as you sip on your pina drink. This pineapple water is also great with salmon so you could whip up my popular bacon salmon to go along with it. Then do a vegetable side dish or even rice.
You will find this agua de pina can be served as a treat to break up the day, to pair with dinner or for a pool party bash.
Frequently Asked Questions
Go right ahead and make it a day in advance if you want. Just stir well or toss back in the blender to mix before pouring for yourself or friends.
Use less sugar to create a more mild flavored with less sweet. Or if you want it to be a bit sweeter, add the 1/4 cup sugar or more if needed. Feel free to play around with the amount of sugar used.
This is a relatively healthy recipe, you just need to factor in the sugar. You can use less sugar to make it a better drink. The pineapple is full of vitamins and enzymes that are beneficial for digestion.
Need more drink recipes? Try these:
- 21 Refreshing Blue Drinks
- Strawberry Tea
- Frozen Fuzzy Navels Recipe
- Jolly Rancher Vodka (Use as Shot or Cocktail)
- See all our beverages!
Did you make this recipe? Or any other delicious recipes on my site? If so, please leave a ★★★★★ star rating and drop a 📝 comment below! Ensure you’re not missing a thing; you can subscribe to my newsletter and follow along with me on Pinterest, Facebook, and Twitter! for the latest updates, recipes, and content.
Agua De Pina
- 2 Cups Chopped Pineapple
- 1 Cup Water
- ¼ Cup White Granulated Sugar
- Pineapple Wedges optional
- Add diced pineapple, water and sugar into a blender.2 Cups Chopped Pineapple, 1 Cup Water, ¼ Cup White Granulated Sugar
- Blend for 1-3 minutes or until the pineapple is fully blended up.
- Serve over ice or in a chilled glass. Garnish with pineapple wedge on glass if you want.Pineapple Wedges
- Pineapple – You can use canned pineapple with juice or frozen pineapple. Just thaw the pineapple first. Fresh pineapple will have the best flavor.
- Sugar – You can use less or more sugar to fit your liking. Swap granulated sugar with honey, agave, or a sugar substitute if needed.
- High Speed Blender – Make sure to use a powerful blender; otherwise it will not blend up properly and be chunky.
- Refrigerate – Refrigerate any of the drink you do not drink. It can store for 2-3 days in the fridge. Just mix well before you go to pour it.