If you have not tried this strawberry agua fresca recipe, you need to soon! It is a popular drink served all over Mexico, and very popular for summer months and of course, Cinco de Mayo! A refreshing strawberry pureed water that is sweet, slightly tart from lime juice, and so refreshing. This agua fresca is a must-try drink.
If you are planning to host a summer cookout or want a hydrating drink for after a day in the sun, this agua fresca recipe with strawberries is one of my favorites. It is the perfect way to use up fresh strawberries as well.
Table of Contents
What is Strawberry Agua Fresca
Agua means fresh water in Spain, so you will find this is a freshwater drink. Meaning it is made with fresh cold water and strawberries. You blend up the berries so it makes the perfect sippable drink. Now some call this aqua fresca as well, so depending on where you live it can be called slightly different names.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe!
- A refreshing and hydrating drink that will keep you hydrated on those long hot summer days.
- Made with simple ingredients you might already have on hand in your kitchen.
- This recipe is highly versatile in ingredients you use, so just know the flavor options are truly endless.
- Great for parties, potlucks, and more. You can serve a crowd with this agua recipe with no problem.
- Kid-friendly and adult approved. All ages will love this sweet water-based drink.
What’s in Strawberry Agua Fresca
- Water – Filtered water is best, as it will make sure to give your water that pure and fresh flavor.
- Strawberries – I do recommend using fresh and ripe strawberries for this drink recipe.
- Sugar – The sweetening agent for the drink!
- Lime and Mint Sprigs – These two are optional but trust me when I say it truly enhances the flavor of the strawberry agua tremendously.
How To Make
The complete list of ingredients, quantities, and instructions can be found in the printable recipe card below.
- Grab your blender and add water, sugar, and berries into the blender. (Photos 1,2 & 3)
- Mix for about one minute until the strawberries are fully pureed.
- Pour into glasses and garnish with a fresh lime slice and mint sprigs. (Photos 4)
- Serve right away.
Possible Substitutions and Tips
- Swap strawberries with raspberries or other berries. Or do a mix of berries like blueberries, raspberries, and strawberries.
- Add some watermelon to the mixture.
- You can use frozen strawberries, but I find the flavor isn’t as quite as fresh as it is when you use fresh berries.
- Use less or more sugar for your preferred sweetness to the drink.
- If you are not wanting to use granulated sugar, you can swap it with honey or even a sugar-free sweetener of choice.
- Using a high-powered blender is key, as it is going to really break down the fruit.
- If you do not want the seeds, strain the drink before you go and serve it up through a fine mesh strainer.
- You can leave out the mint and swap it with basil or just drink without any herbs.
If you do not drink all your agua fresca with strawberries then simply store it in a sealed container in the fridge. This is going to keep it fresh for up to 2-3 days. It is best served fresh over a glass of ice. But if you do not drink it, just place it in a pitcher. Give it a stir before you pour as it can settle out a bit.
You can pour your remaining fresca into ice cube trays and freeze them for later if you want. I like to make ice cubes to then later make spa water with. The ice cubes can freeze for up to three months.
What to Serve with Strawberry Agua Fresca
So this fresca strawberry water is one that can be used all year round. I do find that fresh ripe strawberries will give you the best flavor, of course.
The foam on top of your fresca is normal. It is caused by the fiber in the fruit, so as you blend it, you will find it can develop a foamy texture. Just scoop it off the top or run it through a strainer. This will remove the foam if you don’t want it.
Overall this is a healthy drink, except for the sugar. You can use less sugar to make it healthier if you would like. Or swap with honey or a sweetening agent to make it less sugar based.
Yes, this drink is very hydrating for your body. It is just fruit and water, so a great item to keep on hand in your fridge on those extra hot days where you want to make sure you stay hydrated.
Need more drink recipes? Try these:
Strawberry Agua Fresca
- 4 cups water
- 2 cups sliced strawberries
- ½ cup sugar
- lime slices optional
- mint sprigs optional
- Add the water, sugar, and strawberries into the blender.
- Blend on high for about 1 minute or until the berries are pureed.
- Once done is blended, pour over a glass of ice and enjoy. Or place in a pitcher and store in the fridge until ready to drink.
- Strawberries – Make sure to prep the berries and use ripe and fresh strawberries. It is going to give the best flavor.
- Sugar – If you want, use less or more sugar to sweeten the drink. Or if you don’t want sugar, you can swap with honey or a sugar substitute.
- Garnish – If you don’t want to use mint and lime, you can serve plain or do basil or another type of fresh herb.
- Storing – This water will store for up to 3 days in the fridge. Just stir between pouring as it can settle.
- Straining – If you don’t want the seeds or the foam, just use a fine mess strainer to pour it through before serving.