Watermelon Aqua Fresca is a hydrating watermelon water that is bright in color and bursts with a sweet and refreshing flavor. This aqua Fresca is made with fresh watermelon, filtered water, sugar, and mint leaves.
Hydrating and perfect to serve up in those hot summer months. Sip on joke watermelon Fresca by the pool or serve it up next to your summer bbq cookout.
Make sure to try out this watermelon lemonade for another sweet treat. This is sweet and tart all in one. Or sip on this kiwi watermelon slushie. Or try my strawberry aqua fresca for another aqua fresca recipe.
Table of Contents
What is Watermelon Aqua Fresca?
If you are new to the whole world of aqua fresca, it is water that is flavored with freshly blended fruit and a little sugar. This recipe uses fresh watermelon, water, and sugar. Then you can garnish it with mint leaves for a pop of color.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe!
This nutritious and tasty meal is loaded with flavor! Not only is it a delicious dinner, but also its ingredients are packed with vitamins, minerals and antioxidants. Plus, this recipe is easy to prepare with just a few simple steps. Enjoy this healthy and flavorful dinner that your whole family will love. Bon appétit!
Plus, this dish can
- Made with fresh and ripe watermelon! The perfect way to use up some of your summer fruit.
- A sweet and hydrating drink you can sip on throughout the day or serve up to guests.
- Versatile in ingredients you can use to flavor your water.
- You control how sweet or mellow your watermelon aqua is! Add a little sugar or a bit more for added sweetness.
- A drink for the whole family to enjoy.
What is Watermelon Water Made Of?
- Watermelon – Reach for a ripe watermelon that is de-seeded. You will discard the rind and white and very light pink flesh.
- Water – For aqua Fresca, I do recommend using filtered water. That way it doesn’t take on any other flavors in the drink.
- Sugar – I used granulated sugar to sweeten this watermelon water. Now you could always use a sugar substitute if you prefer.
- Mint – The sprig of mint is optional for garnish. It does also offer a nice minty flavor to go next to the sweetness of the water mixture.
The complete list of ingredients, quantities, and instructions can be found in the printable recipe card below.
How To Make
- Add all ingredients but mint into a blender. (Photos 1,2 & 3)
- Mix for a minute to blend up the mixture.
- Ladle off any foam on top.
- Pour watermelon water into a glass with ice and garnish with mint! (Photo 4)
- The foam on top can be scooped with a spoon. Or you can run it through a fine mesh strainer with cheesecloth in it.
- Feel free to add less or more sugar to adjust the sweetness.
- Swap the granulated sugar with a sugar substitute, honey, or even agave.
- Blend until all the watermelon had liquified.
- Make sure to use a high-powered blender for the proper consistency.
- This watermelon drink is delicious and served fresh and over a large cup of ice.
- Feel free to add in a splash of lime juice, other fruit, etc.
If you do not drink all your fresca, just place it in a sealed container and store it in the fridge for 2-3 days. You will find it changes flavor as it sits in the fridge. I do recommend stirring well before serving up after it has sat in the fridge. The mixture can separate a bit.
Pair your aqua fresca with some rolled tacos for an easy dinner or snack pairing. Or go simple and reach for a fruit platter, a side of chiptole guacamole, or a peach salsa for dipping chips or other snacking food.
Or whip up your favorite grilled burgers and some Mexican street corn and serve it up as a summer cookout-inspired drink.
Simply pour the fresca into popsicle molds and then freeze for at least 6-8 hours or overnight. Then carefully remove it from the mold and enjoy a refreshing watermelon popsicle.
This flavored watermelon drink is great for parties and large gatherings. Whip it up and pour it into pitchers and serve over ice. It is an affordable drink to whip up.
Rum, tequila, or white rum all work great for adding a shot or two into the glass or pitcher of your aqua fresca. Just make sure this is served only to adults.
Need more refreshing drink recipes? Try these:
- Gatorade Slushies
- Rose Lemonade Cocktail
- Frozen Watermelon Agua Fresca
- Frozen Fuzzy Navels Recipe
- Lemonade Slush
- See all our easy drink recipes!
Did you make this recipe? Or any other delicious recipes on my site? If so, please leave a ★★★★★ star rating and drop a 📝 comment below! Ensure you’re not missing a thing; you can subscribe to my newsletter and follow along with me on Pinterest, Facebook, and Twitter! for the latest updates, recipes, and content.
Watermelon Aqua Fresca
- 4 Cups water
- 2 Cups Watermelon chopped
- ⅓ Cup Sugar
- Small Watermelon Wedges optional garnish
- Mint Sprigs optional garnish
- Add all ingredients but mint in the blender.
- Blend on medium to high speed for a minute or so. You want the watermelon to be fully blended up.
- Scoop away any foam on the top of the mixer. Then remove any seeds by pouring through a fine mess strainer if you want.
- Serve the watermelon aqua fresca over a glass of ice. Garnish with mint leaves if you want.
- Watermelon – Make sure to only use the ripe part of the watermelon. Discard the rind and white flesh of the watermelon.
- Sugar – Add less or more sugar to fit your preference. Now you can also use sugar substitutes or even honey or agave for sweetening the drink.
- Refrigerate – Any of the watermelon Fresca you are not drinking right away, store it in the fridge in a sealed container. It will store for 2-3 days in the fridge. Stir between re-pouring.
- Popsicles – You can freeze the extra fresca in popsicle molds as well for making homemade popsicles if you want.