Searching for the perfect jello shot for your next party? Try out this delicious Bahama mama jello shot recipe. Coconut rum, peach Schnapps, watermelon jello come together to create this sweet and refreshing jello shot!
This tropical flavored jello shot is one that is a great way to get a pool party started or summer cookout. Refreshing, colorful, and tasty. It takes minimal effort to prepare, the hardest part is waiting for the jello to set up.
Table of Contents
Why You’ll Love This Recipe!
- They are colorful: Bahama Mama Jello Shots are made with different types of fruit juices and colorful liquors, which make them visually appealing.
- Fruity flavor: I used coconut rum and peach Schnapps so you will get a nice burst of fruity flavor. The watermelon jello is another delicious flavor that pops out.
- They are customizable: You can create your own unique twist on the Bahama Mama Jello Shot recipe by adding different flavors or garnishes.
- They are perfect for parties: Jello Shots are a party favorite because they are portable and easy to serve. They are also a great way to get the party started and get everyone in a fun and festive mood.
- Coconut Rum: If you can’t find coconut, white rum works.
- Peach Schnapps: Feel free to improvise on peach if need be.
- Water: Filtered water works best.
- Watermelon Jello: Any brand can be sugar free.
The complete list of ingredients, quantities, and instructions can be found in the printable recipe card below.
How To Make
- In a pot, bring 1 1/2 cups of water to a boil. Pour the watermelon Jello into the boiling water and stir until fully dissolved.
- Add 1 cup of coconut rum to the Jello mixture and stir well. (Photo 1)
- Mix in 1/2 cup of peach schnapps and stir until all ingredients are thoroughly combined. (Photo 2)
- Carefully pour the mixture into small condiment cups. (Photos 3 & 4)
- Place the cups in the refrigerator and let the Jello shots chill, and set until solid. Once the Jello shots are firm, take them out of the fridge, and enjoy cheers with your friends!
Tips from our Recipe Developer
- Use a flavorful mixer: Instead of plain water, try using fruit juices or sodas as a mixer to add more flavor and depth to your jello shots.
- Be creative with the alcohol: Vodka is a popular choice for jello shots, but don’t be afraid to experiment with different types of liquor, such as rum, tequila, or schnapps.
- Use condiment cups for easy serving: Small plastic condiment cups are the perfect size for jello shots, and they make it easy to transport and serve the shots at parties or gatherings.
- Chill thoroughly: Be sure to refrigerate your jello shots until they are fully set and firm, usually for at least 2-4 hours or overnight. This will help them keep their shape and make them easier to eat.
- Get creative with presentation: You can customize your jello shots by using different colors, flavors, or even adding a garnish. For example, you could top them with whipped cream or fruit slices.
- Enjoy in moderation: Remember that jello shots are a fun way to enjoy a cocktail, but they can be potent. Be sure to pace yourself and drink responsibly.
To store Jello shots, you can place them in a covered container or wrap them tightly in plastic wrap and refrigerate them until you are ready to serve.
It is best to keep them in the refrigerator until you are ready to serve, as storing them at room temperature can cause them to melt and lose shape.
While it is technically possible to freeze Jello shots, it is not recommended as the texture and consistency of the Jello may change. Freezing can cause the Jello to become hard, making it difficult to consume.
If you must freeze Jello shots, make sure to do so in an airtight container and let them thaw in the refrigerator before serving. However, it is always better to make and serve Jello shots fresh so they are at their best in terms of flavor and texture.
What To Serve With Rum Shots
Jello shots are often served as a fun and festive addition to parties and gatherings. If you’re wondering what to serve with jello shots, here are some ideas:
- Finger foods: Jello shots are often served as a party snack, so it’s a good idea to pair them with finger foods that are easy to eat and share, such as chip dip, crackers, and cheese, or mini sandwiches.
- Light appetizers: You could also serve light appetizers to complement the sweetness of the Jello shots, such as a charcuterie board, fruit bowl, or bruschetta.
Typically, Jello shots take about 2-4 hours to set in the refrigerator, but it’s best to leave them overnight to ensure they are fully firm and easy to serve.
Yes, you can use other types of alcohol, such as vodka, tequila, or schnapps, in place of rum. Keep in mind that the type and amount of alcohol used will affect the strength and flavor of the Jello shots.
Coconut rum is a popular choice for Jello shots as it adds a tropical flavor that complements the sweetness of the Jello. However, you can experiment with different types of rum, such as spiced or flavored rums, to create unique flavors.
Need more jello shot recipes? Try these:
Did you make this recipe? Or any other delicious recipes on my site? If so, please leave a ★★★★★ star rating and drop a 📝 comment below! Ensure you’re not missing a thing; you can follow along with me on Pinterest, Facebook, and Twitter! For more easy, delicious homemade recipes!
Printable Recipe Card
Bahama Mama Jello Shots
- 1 Cup Coconut Rum
- ½ Cup Peach Schnapps
- 1 ½ Cups Water
- Watermelon Jello 3.94 OZ package
- Condiment Cups
- In a pot, bring 1 ½ cups of water to a boil.1 ½ Cups Water
- Add watermelon Jello powder to the boiling water, and stir until fully dissolved.Watermelon Jello
- Pour in 1 cup of coconut rum, and stir the mixture until the rum is evenly distributed.1 Cup Coconut Rum
- Mix in ½ cup of peach schnapps, and stir until well combined.½ Cup Peach Schnapps
- Carefully pour the Jello mixture into small condiment cups.Condiment Cups
- Refrigerate the cups until the Jello has solidified and is firm to the touch, typically for about 2-4 hours.
- When ready to serve, remove the cups from the fridge and enjoy your watermelon Jello shots with rum and peach schnapps. Cheers!
- Jello: you can change up from watermelon but the watermelon works great for the flavor.
- Rum: If you can’t find coconut rum a classic white rum works great.
- Condiment Cups: Use jello shot cups or reach for condiment cups. They work great and come with lids.
- Refrigerate: Refrigerate your shots until fully set up. This can take 2-4 hours. Make sure to allow enough time for it to set up.