These festive and delicious Mardi Gras Jello Shots are a must make for Mardi Gras celebration. It has all the colors of a King Cake and the sweet flavors of lemonade, and a frosting ripped glass for added sweetness. This will give you the vibe of New Orleans and be a delicious jello mixture spiked with vodka.
These King Cake jello shots are a must for your Mardi Gras party or Fat Tuesday. Whip this up for a themed jello shots that all your friends will love to try. Festive treats that will add a splash of color to your party.
For your celebration of mardi gras, pair with your favorite meals, appetizers, tasty drink, and more. I whipped up my Instant Pot jambalaya the other night and then served these shots up after.
Why This Recipe Works
- The layers of jello make the most colorful party.
- Sweet and creamy flavors paired with lemonade flavors.
- Traditional Mardi Gras colors.
- Easy jello shot cups for adults.
- Vodka infused jello.
- Adult party approved.
Mardi Gras Jello Shots Ingredients
The complete list of ingredients, quantities, and instructions can be found in the printable recipe card below.
Lemonade – You are going to use lemonade as the flavor for the jello shots. Now you can use any brand you like. I do recommend pulp free.
Plain Gelatin – Instead of flavored gelatin, I used plain gelatin that I used for the jello layers.
Vodka – Reach for vodka to give these shots that boozy twist.
Sweetened Condensed Milk – This is going to create a nice creamy consistency to the jello layers.
Food Coloring – You will use either gel food coloring or liquid food coloring to create different colors.
Frosting – I used frosting to dip the rims of each shot glass into the frosting. It creates extra sweetness to the shot.
Sugar – Then you can’t forget the classic colored sugars to give it that Mardi Gras look.
How To Make King Cake Jello Shots
You can jump to the recipe card for full ingredients and instructions.
- Dip the rim of each glass in the frosting, and then add the sugars to the frosting. I did 1/3 of the rim in each color.
- Next, pour lemonade in a small saucepan and add the unflavored gelatin.
- Let the mixture soak for 2 minutes, then turn the heat to low, mixing consistently. You want to heat until the gelatin is fully dissolved. This takes about 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and then pour in the condensed milk and the vodka.
- Pour the jello into 3 different bowls. Then color each one as directed.
- Use a baster to pour in the first layer. Then let it set up in the fridge to set up a bit.
- Next, add the next color of jello, and then allow it to set up, and so on. This does take some time.
- Once the final layer and shots are fully set, add whipped cream and sprinkles and serve.
You can store the vodka jello shots in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days. Make sure not to add the whipped cream or the sprinkles to the topping until right before serving. If you use canned whipped cream instead of Cool Whip, it will break down and become watery.
The lemonade creamsicle jello shots can be stored for a bit in the fridge, but you can’t freeze any of the leftovers. The gelatin will break down and become a gooey mess if you do freeze prepped packet of gelatin with the water and alcohol.
Changes to Make to Mardi Gras Shots Recipe
- You can leave off the vanilla frosting around the rim if you want.
- Instead of lemonade, use orange juice or pineapple juice for a tropical flavor.
- Malibu rum, tequila, silver rum, or any other alcohol can work in being swapped with vodka.
- You could add some cream of coconut to the jello to help add more fruity flavors.
- Go right ahead and use green jello, blue jello, and purple jello for flavored layers if you don’t want to use lemonade.
- Make these strawberry lemonade jello shots by using strawberry lemonade.
- You can use condiment cups instead of shot glasses if you would prefer.
Common Questions Asked
If you do not allow the jello to set up, it will blend together and become off color. You won’t have the defined layers of Jello, and it won’t be the result you want.
Place your shots in a baking dish or a rimmed cookie sheet. This is going to create a flat surface that you can easily pick up and move from one area of your home to another. This speeds things up instead of moving each jello shot by hand.
Need more jello shot recipes? Try these:
- Cherry Bomb Jello Shots
- Pina Colada Jello Shots
- Tequila Jello Shots
- See all our drinks and boozy treats.
Have you tried my Mardi Gras shots or any other recipe on my site? If so, please leave a star ★★★★★ rating and drop a comment below! Ensure you’re not missing a thing; you can also follow along with me on Pinterest, Facebook, and Twitter, For more incredible recipes!
Printable Recipe Card
Mardi Gras Jello Shots Recipe
- 1 ¾ cup lemonade
- 4 envelopes plain gelatin
- 1 ¼ cups vodka
- 2 teaspoons sweetened condensed milk
- Liquid food coloring regular green, regular yellow and neon purple
- 1 can Rich & Creamy Frosting Vanilla for rims
- Decorating sugars in purple yellow and green (for rims)
- Start by dipping the rims of each glass into the frosting, dip 1/3 of the rim into green sugar sprinkles, 1/3 into purple sugar sprinkles and 1/3 into yellow sugar sprinkles as shown.
- Pour lemonade into a small pan and sprinkle in the unflavored gelatin. Allow to soak for about 2 minutes. Turn heat on low, whisking constantly, until the gelatin is dissolved, about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat, if using alcohol, stir in vodka and sweetened condensed milk.
- Using 3 different bowls, divide the gelatin mix between them, pouring about 1 cup in each bowl. Use food coloring to color each. Use 4 drops of food coloring for each bowl. Purple: 4 drops, Green 4 drops, Yellow 4 drops.
- Using a baster, add about one tablespoon of the purple gelatin to glass, refrigerate until set. Once set, add about one tablespoon of yellow gelatin to the glass, repeat with the green.
- When all layers are fully set, remove from the refrigerator and top with whipped cream and sprinkle with colored sugars,