Grinch Popcorn is a light and salty popcorn that will satisfy your cravings during this time of year. The best part? You can make it in under 5 minutes!
Christmas is coming! It’s time to get in the holiday spirit. One of our favorite Christmas traditions is watching “How The Grinch Stole Christmas” with hot cocoa and popcorn. However, this year we are taking it up a notch by making Grinch Popcorn.
Why you should make this Christmas Popcorn Recipe
- Sweet and Salty – This popcorn is the perfect combination of sweet and salty. It’s a great snack to have while watching your favorite Christmas movie.
- Fast and Easy – This recipe only takes 5 minutes to make, so it’s a great last minute snack.
- No oven required – You don’t need to turn on your oven to make this popcorn, which is great for those days when it’s cold outside.
If you love recipes like this, you may also enjoy this Grinch Cookies recipe.
What You Need To Make This Popcorn with Marshmallows Recipe
- baking sheet
- parchment paper
- large microwave safe bowl
- large wooden spoon
How to Make Grinch Popcorn
Full directions and measurements for this dish are in the printable recipe card below. These step-by-step photos and instructions are here to help you visualize how to make this recipe.
One bag at a time, cook popcorn in the microwave for 2 minutes, or until the popping of the kernels slows down. Remove from the microwave.
Add 1-3 drops of food coloring and mix until the marshmallow mixture is the color you want.
Pour ¾ of the mixture over the popcorn and using a sturdy wooden spoon, fold the marshmallow mixture into the popcorn until popcorn is well coated.
Spread the popcorn onto the cookie sheet and drizzle the remaining marshmallow mixture over the popcorn. Immediately add the M&Ms.
Allow the popcorn to cool. Break into pieces and serve.
This recipe will stay fresh for a few days if stored in an airtight container at room temperature.
- For the best results, allow the marshmallow mixture to cool slightly before adding it to the popcorn. If it is too hot, you will have trouble mixing in the marshmallows.
- Let the kids add the marshmallows and M&M’s if they want to help in the kitchen.
- For an even sweeter popcorn you can use kettle corn microwave popcorn.
- If you want a festive look, use red and green food coloring to make the Grinch popcorn.
Substitutions and Variations
- Chocolate Chips – chocolate chips can be used in place of M&Ms.
- Sprinkles – Add in your favorite Christmas sprinkles for a festive touch.
- Salt – If you’d prefer regular popcorn instead of sweet popcorn, add salt to the melted butter before adding in the marshmallows.
- White Chocolate Chips – substitute white chocolate chips for M&M’s for a different flavored Grinch Popcorn.
Grinch Popcorn Recipe FAQs
Yes, you can use regular popcorn in this recipe. However, you may need to adjust the amount of butter and marshmallows depending on how much popcorn you use.
You can leave out the M&Ms or substitute them for any other candy that you like. Try using holiday-themed candy-like peppermint or candy canes.
More Christmas Recipes You May Enjoy
Grinch Popcorn Recipe
- Line a large cookie sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking sheet
- One bag at a time, cook popcorn in the microwave for 2 minutes, or until the popping of the kernels slows down. Remove from the microwave.
- In a large microwave safe bowl, melt the butter. Once the butter is melted, mix in 3 cups of mini marshmallows. Stir until the marshmallows are melted.
- Add 1-3 drops of food coloring and mix until the marshmallow mixture is the color you want.
- Pour ¾ of the mixture over the popcorn and using a sturdy wooden spoon, fold the marshmallow mixture into the popcorn until popcorn is well coated.
- Spread the popcorn onto the cookie sheet and drizzle the remaining marshmallow mixture over the popcorn. Immediately add the M&Ms.
- Allow the popcorn to cool. Break into pieces and serve.