Chocolate chip cookies and Oreos collide in the best way creating these decadent Oreo chocolate chip cookies! Homemade buttery chocolate chip cookies that are studded with Oreo cookie crumbles in each bite. Chocolate chip Oreo cookies are easily a new favorite after one single bite.
Oreo cookies are America’s favorite cookie for a reason! When you add it into the base of a chocolate chip cookie it totally transforms into heaven on earth. Whip these up for a pool party, play date, potluck or even tailgating event. These Oreo chocolate chip cookies won’t disappoint.
Now if you love cookies, you have a few more you might want to check out before you go. Try these copycat Crumbl monster cookies or these popular Mexican shortbread cookies that are bursting with warm spices. Or my raspberry chocolate chip cookies are sweet as can be, I love the fruit component of the cookies.
Table of Contents
Reasons you will love this cookie recipe
- These cookies are made from scratch, so you get fresh flavors in each bite.
- Soft, chewy, with a slight crunch from the Oreo cookies.
- Fun twist to a classic chocolate chip cookie.
- Great for parties, events, and holiday celebrations.
- Butter – Unsalted, softened.
- Sugar – Granulated and brown sugar
- Egg – Room temperature
- Flour – Scooped and leveled in measuring cup
- Baking Soda
- Oreos – Double stuffed, crushed
- Chocolate – Mini chocolate chips
How To Make
The complete list of ingredients, quantities, and instructions can be found in the printable recipe card below.
- To prepare the cookies, start by lining a baking sheet with parchment paper and preheating the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Next, place 8 Oreos in a plastic bag or food processor and roughly crush them into pieces. Set aside 1/4 cup for garnishing and save the rest for the cookie batter. (Photo 1)
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, use a fork or hand mixer to combine the butter, granulated sugar, and brown sugar until creamed. Then, add the egg and vanilla and mix until well combined. (Photos 2,3 & 4)
- Stir in the flour, baking soda, and salt into the wet mixture. (Photos 5 & 6)
- Next, add the mini chocolate chips and crushed Oreos to the batter and fold them in until well distributed. The batter will be thick. (Photos 7 & 8)
- Using a 3 tablespoon cookie scoop (or a smaller one if you prefer, but adjust the cooking time accordingly), place the cookies about 2 inches apart on the prepared baking sheet. Bake for 9 minutes or until the edges turn golden brown.
- When done, remove the cookies from the oven and sprinkle extra crushed Oreos on top. Let the cookies cool completely on the baking sheet to set and finish cooking in the middle. Enjoy!
Tips from our Recipe Developer:
- To ensure your cookies turn out perfectly, measure your ingredients accurately and don’t overmix the batter.
- If you don’t have a cookie scoop, you can use a spoon to portion out the dough. Just make sure each cookie is the same size for even baking.
- For extra soft and chewy cookies, slightly underbake them and let them cool on the baking sheet for a few minutes before transferring them to a wire rack to cool completely.
- These cookies also freeze well! Once cooled, store them in an airtight container or freezer bag and freeze for up to 3 months.
- Swap out the Oreos for another type of cookie or candy. Some ideas include Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups, Snickers, or Thin Mints. Play around with the type of cookies you or candy.
- Add nuts to the batter, such as chopped pecans or walnuts, for extra crunch.
- Use white chocolate chips or butterscotch chips instead of mini chocolate chips. This will change the flavor quite a bit.
- Experiment with different extracts in the batter, such as almond or coconut extract, for a different flavor profile.
- Make the cookies gluten-free by using a gluten-free flour blend instead of all-purpose flour.
To store cookies, allow them to cool completely and place them in an airtight container or storage bag. If the cookies are still warm, they will release moisture and become soft or soggy, so it’s important to let them cool first.
The cookies will store in an airtight container for up to 1 week. I store them at room temperature on the counter. You could also store in the fridge if you prefer.
Once the cookies are completely cool, place them in a single layer on a baking sheet or plate. Ensure they’re not touching each other, as this can cause them to stick together.
Freeze in an airtight container for 3-4 months. If stacking, you can place parchment paper between the layers to prevent the cookies from sticking. Then when ready to eat just place on the counter for an hour or two.
Want a fresh out of, oven cookie? Just toss the cookie in the microwave for 10-20 seconds to warm it up.
Oreo Cookie FAQs
Yes, you can use regular Oreos instead of double-stuffed Oreos in this recipe. The double-stuffed Oreos will make the cookies extra creamy, but regular Oreos will work just as well. Feel free to use whatever type of Oreos you have on hand for this cookie recipe.
Yes, you can make the cookie dough ahead of time and refrigerate it for up to 3 days or freeze it for up to 3 months. When you’re ready to bake the cookies, let the dough come to room temperature before scooping and baking. Just know the Oreo cookies in the cookie batter will soften up but will still offer the Oreo flavor.
Go right ahead and use a different type of chocolate chip in this recipe, such as regular-sized chocolate chips, dark chocolate chips, or white chocolate chips.
Need more cookie recipes? Try these:
Did you make this recipe? Or any other delicious recipes on my site? If so, please leave a ★★★★★ star rating and drop a 📝 comment below! Ensure you’re not missing a thing; you can subscribe to my newsletter and follow along with me on Pinterest, Facebook, and X (Twitter)! for the latest updates, recipes, and content.
Oreo chocolate chip cookies
- ½ cup (118 2/7 ml) unsalted butter softened
- ½ cup (118 2/7 ml) granulated sugar
- ½ cup (118 2/7 ml) brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1½ cup (354 ⅞ ml) flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (236 ⅗ ml) Double Stuffed Oreos divided (about 8 cookies) + more for garnishing if needed
- 1 cup (236 ⅗ ml) mini chocolate chips
- To make these delicious Oreo chocolate chip cookies, start by preheating your oven to 350 degrees and lining a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Next, crush 8 Oreos in a plastic bag or food processor, reserving 1/4 cup for garnishing and saving the rest for the cookie batter.
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, use a fork (or hand mixer) to cream together the butter, granulated sugar, and brown sugar.
- Mix in the egg and vanilla until well combined. In a separate bowl, stir together the flour, baking soda, and salt, and then add to the wet mixture.
- Add the mini chocolate chips and crushed Oreos to the batter and fold them in until evenly distributed (the batter will be thick).
- Using a 3 tablespoon cookie scoop (or smaller if you prefer), place the cookie dough about 2 inches apart on the prepared baking sheet (I baked 6 at a time).
- Bake for 9 minutes, or until the edges turn golden brown. Once done, remove from the oven and sprinkle extra crushed Oreos on top.
- Allow the cookies to cool completely on the baking sheet to set and finish cooking in the middle. Enjoy your delicious Oreo chocolate chip cookies!
Get 3 FREE Conversion charts + Bonus!
When you subscribe to the latest updates, recipes, and content.