Whip up a batch of these no butter chocolate chip cookies for a delicious homemade chocolate chip cookie. This butterless cookie recipe is made with the essential pantry ingredients, chocolate chips that bake up to perfection.
You will find cookies without butter offer an extra moist texture from the oil used. The whole family or crowd you serve up these chocolate chip cookies will win you over.
Feel free to try out my homemade brookies, which are a brownie and cookie in one. Or try these maple pecan cookies for a sweet and crunchy cookie recipe. Or for a toffee lover, these toffee cookies are a huge hit in our home.
Table of Contents
Why you’ll love this recipe!
- No Butter Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe
- Moist and Flavorful
- Quick and Easy to Make
- Simple Pantry Ingredients
No Butter Chocolate Chip Cookie Ingredients Needed
Here’s exactly what you need to make it:
- Oil – Vegetable or Canola oil.
- Sugar – Light brown sugar and granulated sugar.
- Egg – Room temperature eggs.
- Vanilla – Vanilla extract or fresh vanilla bean works.
- Flour – All purpose flour
- Baking Soda – Make sure it is active and not expired.
- Salt – Enhances the flavor.
- Chocolate – Semi-sweet chocolate chips
The complete list of ingredients, quantities, and instructions can be found in the printable recipe card below.
How To Make Chocolate Chips Cookies with No Butter
- Preheat oven and prep the cookie sheets with cooking spray or silicone baking mat.
- Next, in a bowl cream the oil, brown sugar, and granulated sugar. Whip for 2 minutes. (Photo 1)
- Then add in the egg and vanilla. (Photo 2)
- In a medium bowl, add your dry ingredients and then slowly add the dry to the wet ingredients. (Photo 3)
- Fold in the chocolate chip cookies. (Photo 4)
- Scoop cookie dough onto the pan and bake as directed.
- Allow cookies to cool, and then serve and enjoy.
You will want to store your butterless chocolate chip cookies in an airtight container at room temperature. These cookies will store for up to 1 week in a container.
Or you can easily freeze the cookies for 3-5 months. The cookies just need to be placed in a freezer bag or freezer container. Thaw on the counter and enjoy.
Tips and tricks
- Make sure to measure the flour properly. Scoop the flour into the measuring cup and level it off.
- Using a mixer allows you to really cream up the batter for light and fluffy cookies.
- Swap the semi-sweet chocolate with milk chocolate, white chocolate, etc.
- Instead of vanilla extract, use almond extract.
- Make sure the eggs are room temperature for best texture of the cookies.
- You can double the recipe if you would like.
- Using cooling racks, cool the cookies quicker.
Yes, canola or vegetable oil both work for this recipe. You will find other oils can alter the flavor and texture of the cookies.
In your container with the cooled cookies, place a slice of bread. This is going to keep moisture in the container, leaving your cookies nice and soft.
Absolutely! Toss in 1/2 cup of pecans, almonds, or even chopped walnuts into the cookie dough. Bake the same as you would.
Need More Easy Cookie Recipes? Try these:
More Delicious Dessert Recipes We Love
- Sopapilla Cheesecake Bars
- French Chocolate Mousse Silk “Pie” Brownies
- Neapolitan Rice Krispies Treats (Strawberry, Chocolate & Vanilla!)
Did you make this recipe? Or any other delicious recipes on my site? If so, please leave a ★★★★★ star rating and drop a 📝 comment below! Ensure you’re not missing a thing; you can subscribe to my newsletter and follow along with me on Pinterest, Facebook, and X (Twitter)! for the latest updates, recipes, and content.
No Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Preheat the oven to 350 °F (177 °C). Prepare two large baking sheets with waxed or parchment paper.
- In a mixing bowl, cream the oil, brown sugar, and sugar until well blended.
- Beat in the eggs and vanilla.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, and salt. Add to the mixer and beat until well mixed and creamy, about 5 minutes.
- Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Using a cookie scoop, portion the cookie dough into balls. Put the cookie dough onto the prepared baking sheet about 2 inches apart.
- Bake for 10 minutes before removing from the oven. Allow the cookies to cool completely on the baking sheet as they will continue to cook from the residual heat.
- Store in an airtight container for up to one week.