Your favorite fair food just got a new makeover! Try out these cotton candy jello shots that are made with real cotton candy and vodka. A layered jello shot recipe that is bursting with sweetness and cotton candy flavor. This is an instant Party favorite for adults.
I am a sucker for all things cotton candy, and these jello shots are a hit. Now, you are welcome to make them non-alcoholic and kid friendly, and they are just as delicious. The edge of the shot glass is covered in whipped cream and then rolled in sprinkles.
Table of Contents
Why we love this recipe!
Here are a few of our favorite things about this jello shot recipe.
- Jello shot recipe made with vodka.
- Can swap out the vodka for another alcohol.
- Uses real cotton candy in shot.
- Party approved.
- Sweet and fun.
This is a quick list of what you will need to make these cool jello shots!
- Jello – Blue Starburst Jello and Pink Starburst Jello.
- Water – Filtered
- Whipped Cream – Optional for garnish.
- Vodka – Divided.
- Cotton Candy – Pink and blue colored.
- Corn Syrup – Optional for glass.
- Sprinkles – Any color of sprinkles works for this recipe.
How To Make Cotton Candy Jello Shots
The complete list of ingredients, quantities, and instructions can be found in the printable recipe card below.
- To start, coat the rims of your glasses with sprinkles by lightly brushing them with corn syrup using a basting brush. Dip the rim into the sprinkles and press down to ensure they stick.
- Next, in a medium mixing bowl, combine pink jello and 1 ½ cups of boiling water. Whisk until the jello is fully dissolved. Then add ⅔ cup of vodka and whisk until fully incorporated. Add about a cup of pink cotton candy to the mixture and whisk again until fully dissolved. (Photo 2)
- Fill each shot glass halfway with the pink jello mixture and refrigerate until set. (Photo 3)
- In another medium mixing bowl, add blue jello and 1 cup of boiling water. Whisk until fully dissolved. Add ½ cup of vodka and stir. Add about 1 cup of blue cotton candy and whisk until fully dissolved. (Photo 4)
- Once the pink layer has set, pour the blue jello mixture on top of the pink layer and return to the fridge to set. (Photo 5)
- When ready to serve, top with whipped cream, cotton candy, and sprinkles. Enjoy!
Tips from our Recipe Developer
- Use a clear or light-colored liquor: To get vibrant and consistent colors in your jello shots, it’s best to use clear or light-colored liquors like vodka, white rum, or gin. Dark liquors like whiskey or rum can discolor your jello and affect the flavor.
- Flavored alcohol: For this recipe, you can easily use flavored vodka. Cotton candy, whipped cream flavored, etc. Or swap from vodka to a different variety of alcohol.
- Chill the liquor: Before adding the liquor to the jello mixture, chill it in the refrigerator or freezer for a few hours. This helps the jello to set faster and more evenly.
- Use hot water to dissolve the jello: Dissolving the jello powder in hot water helps it dissolve faster and more thoroughly. Once dissolved, add the chilled liquor.
- Layered jello: If you don’t want to spend the time making layers, you can easily swap it out and do just one color. The two layers looks pretty but also adds a mix of flavors, giving it more of a true cotton candy flavor.
- Don’t overdo it with the alcohol: It can be tempting to add more alcohol to make the jello shots stronger, but adding too much can prevent the jello from setting properly. A good rule of thumb is to use equal parts liquor and water when making jello shots.
To store jello shots, cover the container with a lid or plastic wrap and place it in the refrigerator. It’s best to keep the jello shots in the refrigerator until you’re ready to serve them, as they can quickly become warm and melt in warm temperatures.
Jello shots can store for around 3-5 days. You will find after that they break down.
It is recommended to not freeze Jello shots as the jello consistency changes but also alcohol doesn’t freeze. So it will ruin the shots.
Some like to toss in the freezer for just 30 minutes to help speed up the setting up. BUT don’t do over that, or it can negatively affect the shots.
What To Serve With Layered Cotton Candy Jello Shots
Consider serving up some appetizers to go with your shots. This spicy buffalo dip is a great one to balance out the sweetness of the shots. Taco roll-ups are another good one to consider for a nice bite size snack.
This depends on the occasion and the alcohol content of the jello shots. As a general rule, plan for two to three jello shots per person.
Yes, you can use silicone molds or small plastic cups instead of shot glasses to make jello shots. This allows for more creativity in shapes and sizes.
Yes, you can use fresh fruit in your jello shots for added flavor and texture. Just make sure to cut it into small pieces so that it will mix evenly with the jello mixture.
Yes, you can make jello shots in advance and store them in the refrigerator or freezer until you’re ready to serve them. They can be stored in the refrigerator for a few days and in the freezer for up to three months.
Need more alcohol recipes? Try these:
- Bahama Mama Jello Shots
- Pina Colada Cocktail
- 35 New Year’s Eve Jello Shots
- See all our boozy recipes!
Did you make this recipe? Or any other delicious recipes on my site? If so, please leave a ★★★★★ star rating and drop a 📝 comment below! Ensure you’re not missing a thing; you can follow along with me on Pinterest, Facebook, and Twitter! For more easy, delicious homemade recipes!
Printable Recipe Card
Cotton Candy Jello Shots
- To begin, coat the rims of your glasses with sprinkles by dipping a basting brush into corn syrup and brushing it around the rim of each glass. Then dip the rim into the sprinkles, tapping down to ensure they stick well.
- In a medium mixing bowl, dissolve the pink jello in 1 ½ cups of boiling water. Add ⅔ cup of vodka and whisk until fully dissolved. Add about a cup of pink cotton candy to the mixture and whisk again until fully dissolved.
- Fill each shot glass halfway with the pink jello mixture and refrigerate until set.
- In another medium mixing bowl, dissolve the blue jello in 1 cup of boiling water. Add ½ cup of vodka and stir. Add about 1 cup of blue cotton candy and whisk until fully dissolved.
- Once the pink layer has set, pour the blue jello mixture on top of the pink layer and return to the fridge to set.
- When ready to serve, top with whipped cream, cotton candy, and sprinkles. Enjoy responsibly!
- Flavor of Jello – Feel free to use other flavors of Jello if you want, it will, of course, change the flavor, but you are welcome to create what you want.
- Cotton Candy – You can use another colors of cotton candy for this recipe.
- Storing – Store in a sealed container to ensure no flavors get mixed into the
- Jello mixture. These will store for up to 5 days in an airtight container in the fridge.
- Alcohol – Go right ahead and use a flavored vodka; swap with white rum or other alcohol of choice.
- Recipes including or referencing alcohol are intended for adult consumption only (21+). Drink responsibly!