Do you know how easy it is to cook tortellini in your instant pot? This creamy cheese and sausage pasta recipe is perfect for the whole family, especially on busy weeknights! So if you’re looking for something that will always be a hit, look no further. Pressure cooker meal ideas like this make the best hearty meal for lunch or dinner; in fact, I just cooked tortellini last night!
The cook time for instant pot tortellini is super quick, and that’s because of the high pressure quick release functions. That’s because pressure cooking uses a seal tight chamber that traps the steam and drives the heat up. Simultaneously this cooking method extracts flavor more efficiently from foods; that’s why this easy family dinner is so delicious! The quick release method is also called the steam release. This is the best method for delicate foods like instant pot pasta, especially tortellini with cream, cheese, and sausage. That’s because the steam release handle is opened, and it allows the steam to exit the pressure cooker in a thin, controlled method. Quick release helps avoid over cooking and can take anywhere from 1 to 2 minutes. Most instant pots won’t even open until it’s done for safety reasons!
Why This Electric Pressure Cooker Pasta Works So Well For Family Dinner:
- It’s quick and easy weeknight dinner recipe yet still mouth wateringly delicious.
- Dump and go with minimal prep time required.
- One pot cooking makes for fast cleanup.
- Cooks in 22 minutes flat.
- Perfect for picky eaters too.
If you love this recipe, and you’d like some more Instant Pot Pasta Recipes like this Creamy Spinach, Sausage, and Cheese Tortellini, you may also enjoy this Chicken Alfredo Pasta, Italian Chicken Penne With Tomato Sauce, Or Sausage Rigatoni!
Ingredients For Pressure Cooker Tortellini
- Olive Oil – Or vegetable oil if that is your personal preference.
- Yellow Onion Diced – Sometimes, I will use red onion, but my husband is not too fond of that.
- Italian Sausage – Mild or hot. Again I adjust this ingredient based on my kids’ preferences! They don’t like spicy, so I use mild, but I do love hot Italian flavors for myself.
- Minced Garlic – I always like to mince my own garlic cloves, pre-minced from the jar is fine too.
- Kosher Salt & Black Pepper – Adjust the amount to your liking.
- Italian Seasoning – Or you can try my homemade Italian seasoning blend!
- Cheese Tortellini – Choose your favorite brand of fresh made cheese stuffed pasta from the fresh section of the grocery store. Cooking time could be affected by brand.
- Chicken Broth – Broth is way better than using water for the flavor, of course, you can always substitute vegetable broth or beef!
- Chopped Spinach – I always love adding green vegetables like baby spinach to my pasta dishes.
- Shredded Parmesan Cheese – Try shredding your own fresh parmesan, it adds a lovely freshness to the end result as opposed to pre shredded cheese.
- Heavy Cream – This ingredient is so important for the creaminess of your fresh tortellini sauce, I highly recommend not substituting this one.
Tools You’ll Need To Make This Easy Family Dinner Recipe
- Cutting Knife
- Cutting Board
- Instant Pot – 6QT-8Qt preferably
- Cheese Grater if you are shredding your own Parmesan
How Do You Make Pressure Cooker Tortellini With Creamy Sauce?
The full list of ingredients, quantities, and instructions can be found in the printable recipe card below.
Step One: Set instant pot to sauté and add the oil. Once oil is hot, add the diced onion. Cook for 5 minutes to brown the onion.
Step Two: Squeeze the sausage out of the casing into small meatballs the size of marbles. Throw in with the onion. Brown meat off.
Step Three: Add the broth, tortellini, spices, garlic, and spinach. Close and seal the lid and pressure valve. Cook on high for 6 minutes.
Step Four: Quick release pressure and remove lid. Stir in cream and cheese and let cool and thicken.
Step Five: Enjoy!
It is easy to accidentally cook more pasta than you need, especially when making this easy dinner recipe for the family. Furthermore, you certainly do not want to let any of this instant pot tortellini with sausage go to waste, and I love eating it the next day. Make sure you use a container with a tight-fitting lid or zip lock bag. This way, the leftovers will stay fresh up to 5 days in the refrigerator. The creamy sauce will help prevent your leftover pasta from drying up.
Tips and tricks
- The best tip for cutting onions is to lay a wet paper towel near the onion to prevent your eyes from watering.
- Allow the steam release to finish completely before trying to open your instant pot lid.
- Substitute chopped broccoli for the spinach if you’re craving veggies.
While technically yes you can cook a slow cooker recipe in an instant pot you must be mindful of the necessary conversions. For example, make sure your recipe has at least one cup of liquid; while a slow cooker recipe does not always need liquid, the pressure cooker will burn without it. Another conversion tip is to cook less at one time. That is because you can fill a crockpot to the top with no issue, your pressure cooker will not pressurize properly that way. You must also modify certain ingredients that will definitely scorch, such as sour cream. Add these ingredients afterward instead. Lastly, remember to adjust the timing and cook in segments when converting a crockpot recipe to pressure cooker!
What to Serve With This Family Dinner
- Easy Cheesy Garlic Bread Rolls. If you really love cheese, these rolls will compete the instant pot tortellini with sausage meal.
- Fuji Apple Salad & Dressing. Want something more green as a side? This refreshing one will impress you.
- Fresh Heirloom Tomato Salad with Balsamic & Feta. This vegetable side dish is tart, sweet, and salty.
Craving More Pasta Recipes? Give These A Try!
- Dill Pasta Salad
- Chicken Cordon Bleu Pasta
- The Best Classic Slow Cooker Minestrone Soup
- See all our easy, delicious Main Course recipes for the whole family.
If you have tried this Creamy Instant Pot Tortellini With Sausage or any other recipes on my site? Be kind & leave a comment and rating below! Make sure you don’t miss a thing! Follow me on social Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter, or My Facebook Group! For more incredible recipes!
Instant Pot Creamy Spinach, Sausage and Cheese Tortellini
- Set instant pot to sauté and add the oil. Once oil is hot add the diced onion. Cook for 5 minutes to brown the onion.
- Squeeze the sausage out of the casing into small meat balls the size of marbles. Throw in with the onion. Brown meat off.
- Add the broth, tortellini, spices, garlic, and spinach. Close and seal the lid and pressure valve. Cook on high for 6 minutes
- Quick release pressure and remove lid. Stir in cream and cheese and let cool and thicken.